Go Back   The Landover Baptist Church Forum > Church Forums > The introduction forum
Reload this Page Hi All
The introduction forum Attention Unsaved Trash: This the ONLY subforum you can start threads in. Here is where you introduce yourself. Tell us what church you go to and what your favorite Bible verse is and how you came to find Jesus.

(#41)
Old
Unsaved trash, alcoholic feminazi

Atheist Cherry-picker

LocusSolace is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.LocusSolace is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.LocusSolace is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.
Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Etheldreda View Post
Without the trustworthy reference of the Holy Bible, you have only your own perceptions upon which to draw conclusions about what is wise. Then you go and get offended and argue with the one poster who agrees with you. Your "wisdom" certainly is entertaining to the rest of us.

I've already given an apology there.
(#42)
Old

Atheist Cherry-picker

LocusSolace is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.LocusSolace is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.LocusSolace is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.
Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores de Barriga View Post
Hello, Karen! I find your decision-making process, what to believe in and what to discard, particularly fascinating. Basically, you start with some preconceived notions and then you accept bits and pieces of sacred texts that agree with your position, and disregard the rest.

The problem I see with this position, is its extreme subjectivity. Your preconceived notions are by definition different from the preconceived notions of the next person. Sure, there will be some overlap with people of the same culture, gender, age group, education, and socioeconomic status, but ultimately, your point of view was forged by your individual life experiences.

However, if everybody has different ideas about God, doesn't that cancel them all as false? What makes you think that your particular view is correct and everybody else is wrong?

This is what I really appreciate about Landover Baptists. You might find some of their views to be somewhat harsh, but at least they are honest: they accept the Holy Bible as the only source of knowledge about God, and they stick to it, without disregarding parts that seem cruel or even immoral.

Hi, I don't believe that everybody else is wrong. Of God is all, then everyone's views are included into that. Have you ever heard the stained glass window description of God? Basically God is the white light behind a stained glass window. Different people see God through whatever color belongs to their beliefs, but they are all seeing the same God.
(#43)
Old
Gushing for Jesus

Protected by JESUS Christian Love Heaven Bound Ready for the Rapture Cleanest Kitchen Ex-Mary Worshipper True Christian™ Real American™ True Christian Caucasian Persecuted Pro-Life Most Obedient Friend of Jesus True Christian Homemaker True Christian Beauty 1st Year Bible College 2nd Year Bible College True Republican Mother of 1 boy or 2.5 girls Quiverful Mother of 2 boys or 5 girls Super Soaker Baptism Award 3rd Year Bible College One Year/1000 posts True Christian Lady Batman Shooting Survivor Loves a GODLY Chic-Fil-A Guns, Guts and GLORY! Proud Niglet Sponsorer Tomato Staker Hatchet Child Rearing Award Kirk Cameron Fan Club Saved 1 Year Prayer Warrior The Al E. Pistle Award for Excellence in Rebuking The Hatchet Child Rearing Award 4th Year Bible College Paula Deen Negro Support Group TC Bravery Touched by Jesus Heart of compassion Babysitter Stamp of Approval Home Schooled Trump of GOD Rick Perry's Niggerhead Ranch The Lord’s Witness Wound The Lord’s Witness Wound Donald Trump 2016! Trumpette Anti-sodomy Mama Grizzly Platinum Tither Best stoning bucket 2015 Witch Hunt Award Hands Off Pastor Ezekiel Crown of Glory Crown of Rejoicing Saved 5 Years BFF of Jesus Gunfest '14 Proud Survivor of the Overwatch Wars Probing for Jesus Wall of Jesus Alternative Facts 20,000 posts Crown of Righteousness Flat Earth Anti-abortion GLORY Hold re-election 2020 for Jesus Team Fortress Rebuker Extraordinaire Proud TP Rebuker for Christ Anti-Biden Public Awareness Medal

Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!
Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
This is what I really appreciate about Landover Baptists. You might find some of their views to be somewhat harsh, but at least they are honest: they accept the Holy Bible as the only source of knowledge about God, and they stick to it, without disregarding parts that seem cruel or even immoral.
Well, the LORD does call us to Righteousness (Romans 10:4), not morality.

Check your Bible. The word "moral" isn't anywhere in its pages.

That means that even when heathens think we are being harsh or immoral, their opinions are irrelevant. It is all foolishness to them anyway, so who cares what they think (1 Corinthians 1:18)?

Hello, my name is Mary. I hope to fellowship with you! That is, unless you don't listen to church authority (Deuteronomy 17:12); are a witch (Exodus 22:17); are a homosexual (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:24-32); or fortuneteller (Leviticus 20:27) or a snotty kid who hits their dad (Exodus 21:15); or curses their parents (Proverbs 20:20; Leviticus 20:9); an adulterer (Leviticus 20:10); a non-Christian (Exodus 22:19; Deuteronomy 13:7-12; Deuteronomy 17:2-5;Romans 1:24-32); an atheist (2 Chronicles 15:12-13); or false prophet (Zechariah 13:3); from the town of one who worships another, false god (Deuteronomy 13:13-19); were a non-virgin bride (Deuteronomy 22:20-21); or blasphemer (Leviticus 24:10-16), as God calls for your execution and will no doubt send you to Hell, and I have no interest developing a friendship with the Spiritually Walking Dead.

(#44)
Old
Gushing for Jesus

Protected by JESUS Christian Love Heaven Bound Ready for the Rapture Cleanest Kitchen Ex-Mary Worshipper True Christian™ Real American™ True Christian Caucasian Persecuted Pro-Life Most Obedient Friend of Jesus True Christian Homemaker True Christian Beauty 1st Year Bible College 2nd Year Bible College True Republican Mother of 1 boy or 2.5 girls Quiverful Mother of 2 boys or 5 girls Super Soaker Baptism Award 3rd Year Bible College One Year/1000 posts True Christian Lady Batman Shooting Survivor Loves a GODLY Chic-Fil-A Guns, Guts and GLORY! Proud Niglet Sponsorer Tomato Staker Hatchet Child Rearing Award Kirk Cameron Fan Club Saved 1 Year Prayer Warrior The Al E. Pistle Award for Excellence in Rebuking The Hatchet Child Rearing Award 4th Year Bible College Paula Deen Negro Support Group TC Bravery Touched by Jesus Heart of compassion Babysitter Stamp of Approval Home Schooled Trump of GOD Rick Perry's Niggerhead Ranch The Lord’s Witness Wound The Lord’s Witness Wound Donald Trump 2016! Trumpette Anti-sodomy Mama Grizzly Platinum Tither Best stoning bucket 2015 Witch Hunt Award Hands Off Pastor Ezekiel Crown of Glory Crown of Rejoicing Saved 5 Years BFF of Jesus Gunfest '14 Proud Survivor of the Overwatch Wars Probing for Jesus Wall of Jesus Alternative Facts 20,000 posts Crown of Righteousness Flat Earth Anti-abortion GLORY Hold re-election 2020 for Jesus Team Fortress Rebuker Extraordinaire Proud TP Rebuker for Christ Anti-Biden Public Awareness Medal

Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Mary Etheldreda will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!
Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocusSolace View Post
I've already given an apology there.
Good for you. I'm sure Didymus couldn't sleep until the two of you made up.

But really, this just shows the foolishness of your argument. Your "Stained Glass Jesus" is impossible to reconcile with reality, and that makes it absurd. Look, either Jesus is who He says He is, or He is who people like you say He is. As He doesn't agree with you, and you can't both be right, who do you think is more likely to be mistaken? God, who is Perfect and never makes a mistake, or you, the person who changes her mind whenever new information is presented?

Hello, my name is Mary. I hope to fellowship with you! That is, unless you don't listen to church authority (Deuteronomy 17:12); are a witch (Exodus 22:17); are a homosexual (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:24-32); or fortuneteller (Leviticus 20:27) or a snotty kid who hits their dad (Exodus 21:15); or curses their parents (Proverbs 20:20; Leviticus 20:9); an adulterer (Leviticus 20:10); a non-Christian (Exodus 22:19; Deuteronomy 13:7-12; Deuteronomy 17:2-5;Romans 1:24-32); an atheist (2 Chronicles 15:12-13); or false prophet (Zechariah 13:3); from the town of one who worships another, false god (Deuteronomy 13:13-19); were a non-virgin bride (Deuteronomy 22:20-21); or blasphemer (Leviticus 24:10-16), as God calls for your execution and will no doubt send you to Hell, and I have no interest developing a friendship with the Spiritually Walking Dead.

(#45)
Old

Atheist Cherry-picker

Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Good for you. I'm sure Didymus couldn't sleep until the two of you made up.

But really, this just shows the foolishness of your argument. Your "Stained Glass Jesus" is impossible to reconcile with reality, and that makes it absurd. Look, either Jesus is who He says He is, or He is who people like you say He is. As He doesn't agree with you, and you can't both be right, who do you think is more likely to be mistaken? God, who is Perfect and never makes a mistake, or you, the person who changes her mind whenever new information is presented?
God either is or isn't all. If he is all, then that theory is correct. If he isn't all, then maybe you have been mistaken. And I add things to my beliefs, I don't change things every time I find something new.
(#46)
Old
Apparently not part of the domestic staff; suspected academic
Forum Member

Christian Love Protected by JESUS Messicant Touched by Jesus Friend of Jesus Heaven Bound Proud Survivor of the Overwatch Wars

Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.
Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Hi, I don't believe that everybody else is wrong. Of God is all, then everyone's views are included into that. Have you ever heard the stained glass window description of God? Basically God is the white light behind a stained glass window. Different people see God through whatever color belongs to their beliefs, but they are all seeing the same God.
Very poetic comparison. Nevertheless, the problem with is that an important part of how a person sees God, is what this person thinks that God wants them to do. A very brief survey of world religions and their multiple denominations will show you very different practices, such as:

1) Dietary restrictions: eating meat or not, eating specific kinds of meat, etc.
2) Treatment of human body: circumcision, female genital mutilation, tattooing, wearing jewelry, having long hair or shaving it, wearing clothes or not, wearing certain types of clothes only, etc, etc.
3) Mating behaviors, such as monogamy, serial monogamy, polygyny, polyandry, group marriage; also related, whom can you marry and whom you cannot, degree of relationship allowed, minimum age for marriage and its consummation, use of contraception, etc.
4) Attitudes towards killing, such as abortion, capital punishment, participation in wars.

I could make an endless list of such contrasting behaviors. All religious people will tell you that their particular point of view is the correct one and everybody else is wrong. They believe that God in fact allows them to do things which are seen as immoral behavior by other religions, and vice versa. Moreover, if you look at history of religions, attitudes and beliefs change over time, so it's not like beliefs of a certain religious group are set in stone.

If there is only one God who looks benevolently at people of all religions, then how come He allows all these contradictory behaviors?

Or maybe it means that He doesn't care what we believe in and what atrocities we commit in His name? Wouldn't that make Him unworthy of our worship, though?...

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
(#47)
Old
Gushing for Jesus

Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
God either is or isn't all. If he is all, then that theory is correct. If he isn't all, then maybe you have been mistaken. And I add things to my beliefs, I don't change things every time I find something new.
This is the heresy of modernism, dear, the belief that Truth™ can evolve to incorporate new ideas, new philosophies, and information unknown at the time the Holy Bible was written. Nowhere will you find God identify Himself as whatever an individual imagines Him to be. In the over 900 names and titles of the LORD, you will not find one that suggests His Holy Nature conflicts with Itself to appease the imagination of sinners desperate enough to fantasize about an Invisible Friend, cowardly enough to deny the One True God.

(#48)
Old
Forum Member

Christian Love Protected by JESUS Messicant Touched by Jesus Friend of Jesus Heaven Bound Proud Survivor of the Overwatch Wars

Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.Dolores de Barriga is veritably a saint destined for a place in Heaven near Jesus' right hand.
Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:

That means that even when heathens think we are being harsh or immoral, their opinions are irrelevant. It is all foolishness to them anyway, so who cares what they think (1 Corinthians 1:18)?
Thank you. I still struggle with my faith, but seeing your faith makes me want to keep trying to believe in God who actually cares. At least you have an actual body of proof in the form of the Holy Bible, something that Locus doesn't have at all.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
(#49)
Old

Atheist Cherry-picker

Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:

The word moral might not be in the Bible, but you can't be righteous without being moral (check your definitions)
(#50)
Old

Atheist Cherry-picker

Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Very poetic comparison. Nevertheless, the problem with is that an important part of how a person sees God, is what this person thinks that God wants them to do. A very brief survey of world religions and their multiple denominations will show you very different practices, such as:

1) Dietary restrictions: eating meat or not, eating specific kinds of meat, etc.
2) Treatment of human body: circumcision, female genital mutilation, tattooing, wearing jewelry, having long hair or shaving it, wearing clothes or not, wearing certain types of clothes only, etc, etc.
3) Mating behaviors, such as monogamy, serial monogamy, polygyny, polyandry, group marriage; also related, whom can you marry and whom you cannot, degree of relationship allowed, minimum age for marriage and its consummation, use of contraception, etc.
4) Attitudes towards killing, such as abortion, capital punishment, participation in wars.

I could make an endless list of such contrasting behaviors. All religious people will tell you that their particular point of view is the correct one and everybody else is wrong. They believe that God in fact allows them to do things which are seen as immoral behavior by other religions, and vice versa. Moreover, if you look at history of religions, attitudes and beliefs change over time, so it's not like beliefs of a certain religious group are set in stone.

If there is only one God who looks benevolently at people of all religions, then how come He allows all these contradictory behaviors?

Or maybe it means that He doesn't care what we believe in and what atrocities we commit in His name? Wouldn't that make Him unworthy of our worship, though?...

Not all religious people (or at least people of faith) will tell you that they are right and everyone else is wrong. I understand, I ran into that fairly early on. then with a little more searching and trying to understand religion/spirituality, I started seeing that not everyone felt that way. Many of the differences in religious/spiritual law can be explained by looking at the culture and where the group lived. Take the Jewish and Muslim prohibition against pig meat, raising pigs in a desert environment would have been a tremendous waste of resources. Or take the Hindu prohibition against killing their cows, a cow can produce milk until it dies.
So yes the Bible and other religious texts are part a historical record of that culture. However look how many religions have different variations of the Golden Rule. Look at the 10 Commandments and compare it to the 10 Commandments that the Native Americans have, you'll find that they are very similar.
Humanity has a lot of flaws. Take a commandment like do not kill as an example. That commandment is pretty common across the religious/spiritual beliefs. First you need to decide if killing and allowing to die are basically the same. Then you need to decide which groups actually count as people. The Bible in the historical sense is pretty clear that there are certain groups of people that deserve to be killed. Other religions are quite a bit less clear. The big question there is whose mistake/misinterpretation? The commandment not to kill should actually be pretty straight forward.
Thank you though, those were some pretty good questions
(#51)
Old

Atheist Cherry-picker

Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I still struggle with my faith, but seeing your faith makes me want to keep trying to believe in God who actually cares. At least you have an actual body of proof in the form of the Holy Bible, something that Locus doesn't have at all.
You're right, I don't have a book for proof, BUT that doesn't mean that I don't have any sort of basis for my particular faith.
(#52)
Old
Unsaved trash, Arrogant Atheist Dick

Hellbound Heathen Atheist Cancer on Society hippie Caution - Poster is Crazy Evilution Perv Baggie Condemned Reaper Evil Grammar Nazi Democrat Commmmmunnissss How dumb can you get? Five years in the service of the Enemy Beastiality Barney Caution - Poster is on Drugs Demonized Bleeding heart liebral Glutton Drunk Devil Rides the Short Bus Fiddler Potty mouth Retard Posting Philistine skull Pot Head Swiss Skull Sinner Devil's Trill Sonata Proud Survivor of the Overwatch Wars Mower Pastor Ezekiel Prize for Unprecedented Retards Marxist Fake Polling The AIDS Confused about midget porn F1 for Satan

Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.Didymus Much is a sinner who has rejected Christ and tithing to Landover and is on the fast bus to Aeternal Damnation.
Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
...However look how many religions have different variations of the Golden Rule...
Fun thought exercise: how would a masochist and a sadist observe the Golden Rule between themselves?

Quote:
...Look at the 10 Commandments and compare it to the 10 Commandments that the Native Americans have, you'll find that they are very similar...
Your source for these "10 Native Commandments"? I expect something that predates the arrival of non-natives, or it is meaningless due to cultural contamination (I couldn't find anything that even predates the internet).

(#53)
Old

Atheist Cherry-picker

Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didymus Much View Post
Fun thought exercise: how would a masochist and a sadist observe the Golden Rule between themselves?

Your source for these "10 Native Commandments"? I expect something that predates the arrival of non-natives, or it is meaningless due to cultural contamination (I couldn't find anything that even predates the internet).
That's actually a pretty cool exercise, thanks. First thing t look at would be consent. Then can we agree on a level of sadism and masochism? Are we talking about the light consensual type of sado-masochism or are we talking about the level that could potentially do serious harm or kill someone? Not trying to nitpick, just making sure that we are talking about the same thing. I had to study some of the Hopi and Southwestern tribe mythology to get any understanding of their myths and standards of ethics, but you're right it is hard to work around the cultural contamination. I'm currently trying to get permission to speak with some of the local tribes in my area, but I haven't heard anything yet. I will try to dig out some of my comparative religion textbooks though, it might be interesting to go through some of that with you. Love the insight and the questions by the way. I actually really do appreciate it. Have you seen the some of the philosophy games online. I'll attach the link. You might enjoy going through them, I know I did.
http://www.philosophersmag.com/index.php/games
(#54)
Old
Gushing for Jesus

Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Then can we agree on a level of sadism and masochism?
Ew! Get a room, you two.

(#55)
Old

Atheist Cherry-picker

Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Ew! Get a room, you two.

Did I completely miss the pick up line here?
(#56)
Old
Forum Member

Default Re: Hi All - 12-01-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Not all religious people (or at least people of faith) will tell you that they are right and everyone else is wrong.
Believing in a certain religion takes as the basic assumption that "we're right, they're wrong." The only religion that allows more leeway is the Baha'i religion, but even they tell you that all roads lead to God, but their way is the best way.

Quote:
I understand, I ran into that fairly early on. then with a little more searching and trying to understand religion/spirituality, I started seeing that not everyone felt that way.
People may feel like they want, the question is whether what they think is logical. In order for any religion to attract followers, all other religions have to be inferior. When you get out of a religion into the "spirituality" it gets even worse, as people's beliefs very often contradict each other - hence, either one is true and the others are false, or all of them are equally false.

To give an example, it is impossible that all creation stories of all religions/belief systems are true. So, is only one of them true (Landover Baptist would say that the Biblical account would be the true one), or are all of them equally false?

Quote:
Many of the differences in religious/spiritual law can be explained by looking at the culture and where the group lived. Take the Jewish and Muslim prohibition against pig meat, raising pigs in a desert environment would have been a tremendous waste of resources. Or take the Hindu prohibition against killing their cows, a cow can produce milk until it dies.
I didn't realize that Marvin Harris' ideas have permeated to the general public. Too bad that the critiques of that overly materialistic point of view haven't followed. If you hang on I will review my notes and give you some references on this subject. For now, trust me that these cultural prohibitions aren't as grounded in reasonable explanations as you think they are.

Quote:
So yes the Bible and other religious texts are part a historical record of that culture. However look how many religions have different variations of the Golden Rule.
I don't know, how many do? (Disregarding cultures which mutually influenced each other, and cultures forcefully influenced by European colonialism).

Quote:
Look at the 10 Commandments and compare it to the 10 Commandments that the Native Americans have, you'll find that they are very similar.
I'm not aware of the existence of Native American 10 Commandments, but I would assume that any similarities are the effect of European colonialism (most of what today constitutes Native American beliefs is in fact a post-colonial construct).

Quote:
Humanity has a lot of flaws. Take a commandment like do not kill as an example. That commandment is pretty common across the religious/spiritual beliefs.
And the one most often broken by deeply religious people -- just look at the history of religious wars.

Quote:
First you need to decide if killing and allowing to die are basically the same. Then you need to decide which groups actually count as people.
And here is where the universalism ends and particularities of each culture begin.

Quote:
The Bible in the historical sense is pretty clear that there are certain groups of people that deserve to be killed. Other religions are quite a bit less clear. The big question there is whose mistake/misinterpretation? The commandment not to kill should actually be pretty straight forward.
Why?

Think of early hominins.

The only clear thing from our early ancestors' point of view is survival of your immediate family (defined as people who are helpful in raising of your offspring) -- which may sometimes depend on killing other members of your species.

Some basic similarities between human cultures can be explained in terms of survival. More complex ones in terms of culture contact. Really, nothing supernatural about it.

Quote:
Thank you though, those were some pretty good questions
I hope you will like my answers. Remind me to give you some references on the non-rational basis for cultural prohibitions. I will have more time tomorrow.

(#57)
Old

Atheist Cherry-picker

Default Re: Hi All - 12-02-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Believing in a certain religion takes as the basic assumption that "we're right, they're wrong." The only religion that allows more leeway is the Baha'i religion, but even they tell you that all roads lead to God, but their way is the best way.

People may feel like they want, the question is whether what they think is logical. In order for any religion to attract followers, all other religions have to be inferior. When you get out of a religion into the "spirituality" it gets even worse, as people's beliefs very often contradict each other - hence, either one is true and the others are false, or all of them are equally false.

To give an example, it is impossible that all creation stories of all religions/belief systems are true. So, is only one of them true (Landover Baptist would say that the Biblical account would be the true one), or are all of them equally false?

I didn't realize that Marvin Harris' ideas have permeated to the general public. Too bad that the critiques of that overly materialistic point of view haven't followed. If you hang on I will review my notes and give you some references on this subject. For now, trust me that these cultural prohibitions aren't as grounded in reasonable explanations as you think they are.

I don't know, how many do? (Disregarding cultures which mutually influenced each other, and cultures forcefully influenced by European colonialism).

I'm not aware of the existence of Native American 10 Commandments, but I would assume that any similarities are the effect of European colonialism (most of what today constitutes Native American beliefs is in fact a post-colonial construct).

And the one most often broken by deeply religious people -- just look at the history of religious wars.

And here is where the universalism ends and particularities of each culture begin.

Why?

Think of early hominins.

The only clear thing from our early ancestors' point of view is survival of your immediate family (defined as people who are helpful in raising of your offspring) -- which may sometimes depend on killing other members of your species.

Some basic similarities between human cultures can be explained in terms of survival. More complex ones in terms of culture contact. Really, nothing supernatural about it.

I hope you will like my answers. Remind me to give you some references on the non-rational basis for cultural prohibitions. I will have more time tomorrow.

Hi. Can you tell me how to quote different lines, so I'm not quoting the whole response? Thank you for your answers, I love them. I may not always agree, but they give me much to consider.

There are 2 other broad category groups that I know of, that don't judge right/wrong of a belief. Spirit Scientists (yea I know eye roll) and Wiccans. The Spirit Science philosophy is basically that a individual person is where s/he need to be for a particular group of life lessons. Wicca takes a similar stand point. Yes I know, and I'd agree, that they both have some otherwise odd beliefs; but I've found them helpful.

I understand you point about the different religious wars. My only question there is were the wars conducted because of religion? or using religion as an excuse? It isn't right either way.

Issuing a do not kill commandment, could have been someone's way to try to achieve some sort of order in a society, and based on that there would not have been any supernatural influence. Truthfully I don't know.

I truly believe that religion/spirituality has to go hand in hand with science. Sort of the IDIC (infinite diversity in infinite combinations) concept from Star Trek.

I seek out people with very diverse beliefs. I have a lot of friends that are atheists as well. I find the difference in viewpoints to be enlightening and quite helpful.

I look forward to your response. I hope your enjoying talking to me as much as I'm enjoying talking to you.
(#58)
Old
Walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
True Christian™

Protected by JESUS Heaven Bound Ex-Masturbator Ready for the Rapture True Christian Caucasian Friend of Jesus Tell her once Flat Earth Real American™ True Christian™ Christian Love The Hatchet Child Rearing Award Tin Tither True Christian Provider™ award Porn Resistant Persecuted Pro-Life Teabag Patriot 1st Year Bible College 2nd Year Bible College One Year/1000 posts Ex-Gay Eats the Most Pork Saved 1 Year True Republican 3rd Year Bible College 4th Year Bible College Sons of Liberty Batman Shooting Survivor Loves a GODLY Chic-Fil-A Guns, Guts and GLORY! Proud Niglet Sponsorer Prayer Warrior Touched by Jesus Babysitter Gunfest '14 Stamp of Approval Anti-sodomy Pancake Dinner Vickers Pastor Ezekiel Heaven Bound TC Bravery The Al E. Pistle Award for Excellence in Rebuking The Lord’s Witness Wound Cup of Jesus Crown of Incorruptibility Crown of Life

Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Zechariah Smyth will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!
Default Re: Hi All - 12-02-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
blah blah blah witchcraft stuff blah blah blah I have a lot of friends that (sic) are atheists as well.blah blah blah something about lesbianism blah blah blah
Good grief, have you even SEEN a Bible???

(Amos 3:3) "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?"

By associating with Jesus-haters you are implicitly sanctioning their depravities.

(2 Corinthians 6:14) "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"

Get those scumbags out of your life NOW before they ruin your afterlife FOREVER!!!

Yours in Christ,

Zech

(#59)
Old

Atheist Cherry-picker

Default Re: Hi All - 12-02-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechariah Smyth View Post
Good grief, have you even SEEN a Bible???

(Amos 3:3) "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?"

By associating with Jesus-haters you are implicitly sanctioning their depravities.

(2 Corinthians 6:14) "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"

Get those scumbags out of your life NOW before they ruin your afterlife FOREVER!!!

Yours in Christ,

Zech
Yes I have seen a Bible, we actually own a few. And honestly 'those scumbags' are actually very good people.
(#60)
Old
Distinguished Professor of Prayer Healing and Creation Zoology (Baraminology)
Victim of atheist scientific persecution

Protected by JESUS Heaven Bound Friend of Jesus Christian Love True Christian™ Touched by Jesus Persecuted Honorary Ex-Eskimo Ex-Scandinavian Ex-eurotrash True Scientist™ 1st Year Bible College 2nd Year Bible College 3rd Year Bible College 4th Year Bible College Doctor Super Soaker Baptism Award Ready for the Rapture Flat Earth Prayer Warrior Ex-Masturbator Tell her once True Christian Caucasian Real American™ Porn Resistant The Al E. Pistle Award for Excellence in Rebuking One Year/1000 posts 2014 Witch Hunt Award Mower Mission to Korea Uber Angels Driver Trump of GOD Roper Crossburn Donald Trump 2016! Pancake Dinner Mission to Messico Saved 1 Year Platinum Tither Eats the Most Pork True Heterosexual™ 2015 Witch Hunt Award Pastor Ezekiel Crown of Glory BFF of Jesus Loves a GODLY Chic-Fil-A Proud Survivor of the Overwatch Wars Probing for Jesus Wall of Jesus Crown of Righteousness Alternative Facts True Christian Nerd GLORY Saved 5 Years Hold re-election 2020 for Jesus Team Fortress Rebuker Extraordinaire Get Behind Me Doctor - NO TEAM FORTRESS! Proud TP Rebuker for Christ Polling for Christ Anti-Biden Midget porn survivor

Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Elmer G. White will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!
Jesus Re: Hi All - 12-02-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Yes I have seen a Bible, we actually own a few. And honestly 'those scumbags' are actually very good people.
Dear Solace,

If we construct our own definitions of "good people", then it is quite realistic that we would arrive at the same conclusion as you do. Charity, compassion, tolerance: These are all characteristics that the average person appreciates. Jesus has nothing against them, either. However, His definition of good encompasses not only WHAT is being done but also WHO does it. And, again by definition, a person who is an unbeliever, cannot perform anything that is good. This is dictated by Jesus and by the corrupted nature of the unbeliever.

Psalms 53:4
Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that doeth good, no, not one

The apparent goodness of these people is stained by the fact that their deeds are targeted at niceties in THIS world, which is irrelevant, as the only thing that matters is Infinity, Eternal Life. And as the lack of faith (John 3:18) is the principal cause of damnation, any deed that does not promote True Faith™ is partially responsible for lost souls.

True ignorance is to construct ethical systems that fail to take into account the fact that good and evil have been pre-determined by God. He decides what is good, and good people do not include unbelievers.

Yours in Christ,

Elmer

2 Kings 18:25 - Am I now come up without the LORD against this place to destroy it? The LORD said to me, Go up against this land, and destroy it.

PREPARE YOURSELF TO RAPTURE WITH THIS MANUAL!
Check out our Research in Creation Science: