X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Question About Pie

Originally posted by Esther B. View Post
    Wow, so many suggestions!

Thank you, everyone! I've made a list of the pies that everyone has suggested and I'm looking up recipes for them so I can bring them with me if I end up marrying the man.

So far, I have all of the ingredients for the pie crust, so I'm thinking of making a few crusts and freezing them for future use so I can spend more time on the filling. Would that be appropriate since I'm not using store-bought crust?
    Personally, I would never do that (the difference between fresh and frozen crust is too noticeable for my palate), but it's your choice, of course.
    However, if you have one of these handy kitchen aid things, you really don't spend that much time making the crust in the first place.
    God created fossils to test our faith.

My favorite LBC sermons:
    True Christians are Perfect!
    True Christian™ Love.
    Salvation™ made Easy!
    You can’t be a Christian if you don’t believe the Old Testament.
    Jesus is impolite. Deal with it.
    Jesus is xenophobic and so should we.
    Sanctity of Life is NOT a Biblical Concept.
    Biblical view on modern-day slavery.
    The Immorality of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights."
    Geneva Conventions vs. The Holy Bible.
    God HATES Rational Thinking!
    True Christian™ Man as a spitting image of God.

Comment

Nobody mentioned Peanut Butter pie?
      Psalm 137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Comment

Originally posted by Des View Post
        Nobody mentioned Peanut Butter pie?
        ...or rhubarb which I enjoy especially in the springtime. Raw rhubarb is also excellent stuff to cleanse my boys' mouths if they happen to retort into ungodly utterances. This happens fortunately less and less often.

Yours in Christ,

Elmer
        2 Kings 18:25 - Am I now come up without the LORD against this place to destroy it? The LORD said to me, Go up against this land, and destroy it.

PREPARE YOURSELF TO RAPTURE WITH THIS MANUAL!
        Check out our Research in Creation Science:

Comment

Pecan pie is the best, of course, but any pie can be delicious, except possibly sweet potato pie, which is loathsome. Pumpkin pie has it's place, but it is most useful to decoy people away from the pecan pie, or other types of pie.
          God judgeth the righteous, And God is angry with the wicked every day- Psalm 7:11

Comment

Freshly out of the oven, "I love LBC" apple pie.

All True Christians™ are welcome to come by and have a piece.

My favorite LBC sermons:
            True Christian™ Love.
            Salvation™ made Easy!

Comment

I like key lime pie in the summer. It's cool, sweet, and tart. Plus it is not too heavy as to slow you down while doing The Lord's work!
              "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

"But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery." (Matthew 5:32)

Comment

Pie?

Did someone say pie? Praise Jesus for pie, and the Godly women that are blessed by Jesus to prepare those wonderful things for the men who own us!

Meekly,
                NRL
                1 Samuel 8:13 "And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cookes, and to be bakers."
                Naomi Ruth Lamb, Proprietress:
                Naomi's Moist Pie - Unsaved Unwelcome!
                Locations in 50 States and Canada
                !Voted Best Pie in Freehold!
                Once you've tasted Naomi's pie, you'll crave it again and again and again and again.
                Baptist pastors always receive a 50% discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi Ruth Lamb View Post
                  Pie?

Did someone say pie? Praise Jesus for pie, and the Godly women that are blessed by Jesus to prepare those wonderful things for the men who own us!

Meekly,
                  NRL
                  Indeed, Sister Naomi! back! I see that you have returned from your vacation, I do hope that you enjoyed your voyages.

My favorite LBC sermons:
                  True Christian™ Love.
                  Salvation™ made Easy!

Comment

Originally posted by Basilissa View Post
                    Indeed, Sister Naomi! back! I see that you have returned from your vacation, I do hope that you enjoyed your voyages.
                    My PRECIOUS Basilissa,

How kind of you - the flowers are lovely. My "voyages" truly brought me to a new understanding of Christ and humanity in general! I traveled extensively through God's wilderness only to find that the answer to my questions was in my own back yard - and there's NO PLACE like HOME! Glory to His Name.

Loving, fond hugs,
                    NRL
                    1 Samuel 8:13 "And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cookes, and to be bakers."
                    Naomi Ruth Lamb, Proprietress:
                    Naomi's Moist Pie - Unsaved Unwelcome!
                    Locations in 50 States and Canada
                    !Voted Best Pie in Freehold!
                    Once you've tasted Naomi's pie, you'll crave it again and again and again and again.
                    Baptist pastors always receive a 50% discount.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther B. View Post
                      Are there any other pies that I should try to make for the young man?...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
                      Dear Esther:

I would suggest starting with this simple pie to "whet the appetite" and keep him interested. Save that chocolate pie for after marriage, when you have to come up with new things to keep him interested.

Here is my easy recipe for chilled strawberry pie.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie

1 8 oz. package cream cheese
                      1 cup (or less) powdered sugar
                      1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
                      1 tsp. vanilla extract
                      1 tsp. almond extract
                      1 pint strawberries (other berries may be used instead)
                      1 pre-baked pie crust (regular or graham cracker*)

Blend softened, room-temperature cream cheese with sugar.

In another bowl, whip cream with vanilla and almond extracts.

Fold cream cheese mixture into whipped cream, and put mixture into pie shell.

Put fruit on top and refrigerate for a few hours.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PS: With a few blueberries scattered on top of the strawberries, this makes a very patriotic-looking dessert for 4th of July.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* All Varieties Are Indeed Lovely, And Bless Little Energetic Innocents Needing Some Trial Or Repeated Effort Success : )

Comment

Sometimes a man will say the opposite of what he means (complaining or being critical in other ways) not because he doesn't appreciate what you've done for him but as the stamp of ownership. Criticism of a pie might just be his way of saying that he owns you, or would be happy to own you, pending marriage. It could be a good sign.

Have you tried a meat filling? Most game is firmly textured and ideal for cooking, especially in pies. The recipe I use is not one I've written down, but there are recipes available and I'll include one with the bits I don't use in grey. You could try including some of them for variety — men certainly enjoy a game pie, but do look for variety - so use the "extras" in different combinations as a sauce.

Game pie
                        Ingredients
                        1½lb mixed game meat such as emu, wallaby (and pheasant & partridge, if available)
                        A young emu is best, bone out a thigh. Prepare wallaby same as kangaroo. Hare and rabbit (boned) may be substituted.
                        8oz venison steak cut into 1" cubes (wild boar or buffalo may be substituted)
                        2 tbsp sunflower oil ¼lb lard
                        2 red onions (I usually add these whole NOT PEELED and remove the skins later)
                        ¼lb smoked streaky bacon (remove rind)
                        ¼lb mushrooms
                        1 clove garlic
                        1oz plain flour
                        1 bay leaf
                        1 orange, zest and juice
                        1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
                        ½ pint chicken stock unless homemade stock, goose being better than chicken anytime
                        1 bottle red wine (old Burgundy is ideal or a pinot noir with some age, but according to taste) Beer may be substituted.
                        ¾lb puff pastry (allow flour/water mix to firm up in a cool spot for an hour or so then knead a bit and roll out very thin: spread with lard: fold over like a sandwich and roll out thin again [double layer] & chill: spread more lard and roll out thin again [4 layers] & chill: repeat [8 layers] and so on: chill when finished [the more layers the puffier or flakier the pastry])
                        Salt and pepper
                        beaten egg, for glazing
                        method
                        Marinate the emu for 2 days.
                        Heat a tablespoon of lard and brown the game and venison in batches until well browned. Keep on one side.
                        Heat the rest of the lard and cook the onions for five minutes until starting to soften. Add the garlic, bacon and mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
                        Stir in the flour and cook for two minutes. Season well and stir in the bay leaf, orange zest and juice, redcurrant jelly, stock and wine. NOTE the wine has already been used in the marinade
                        Zest the citrus fruit
                        Heat the rest of the lard and cook the bacon
                        Add the diced game meat and simmer gently sizzle strongly for 5 or 10 minutes
                        Add wine (the marinade)(or beer if you used that) and cook until the meat is tender (probably about an hour depending on the age of the wallaby [or hare or whatever you'd shot]).
                        Cool.

NOTE I like meat to be nice and firm so at the cooling stage I compress the filling by putting a lid (I have a piece of wood that fits my stew pot nicely) and some bricks:

Heat the oven to 400°F.
                        Put the meat mixture in a pie dish.
                        Roll out the pastry to size & attach to the dish.
                        Decorate with the pastry trimmings and cut a steam hole in the centre.
                        Glaze with beaten egg.

Bake for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350°F for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and risen and the filling is piping hot.

This will do it. Respond to criticism with blushes. Avoid eye contact.

Comment

Originally posted by MitzaLizalor View Post
                          Marinate the emu for 2 days.

2 Timothy 3:16

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Comment

They'd be quite tender, but maybe a couple of months older would be a nice size. The thigh needs to be maybe 18 inches or a bit more + loadsa exercise, just so yum.

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi Ruth Lamb View Post
                              My PRECIOUS Basilissa,

How kind of you - the flowers are lovely. My "voyages" truly brought me to a new understanding of Christ and humanity in general! I traveled extensively through God's wilderness only to find that the answer to my questions was in my own back yard - and there's NO PLACE like HOME! Glory to His Name.

Loving, fond hugs,
                              NRL

Praise !

Hello, my name is Mary. I hope to fellowship with you! That is, unless you don't listen to church authority (Deuteronomy 17:12); are a witch (Exodus 22:17); are a homosexual (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:24-32); or fortuneteller (Leviticus 20:27) or a snotty kid who hits their dad (Exodus 21:15); or curses their parents (Proverbs 20:20; Leviticus 20:9); an adulterer (Leviticus 20:10); a non-Christian (Exodus 22:19; Deuteronomy 13:7-12; Deuteronomy 17:2-5;Romans 1:24-32); an atheist (2 Chronicles 15:12-13); or false prophet (Zechariah 13:3); from the town of one who worships another, false god (Deuteronomy 13:13-19); were a non-virgin bride (Deuteronomy 22:20-21); or blasphemer (Leviticus 24:10-16), as God calls for your execution and will no doubt send you to Hell, and I have no interest developing a friendship with the Spiritually Walking Dead.

Comment

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions and recipes! In case anyone was wondering, I have spent the past few days looking for pie recipes and practicing making pie crusts. I'm going to add the recipes that you've suggested to the long list that I now have.

I also have some great news. My family is having a Memorial Day picnic with the young man and his family tomorrow and he called earlier today to ask me to bring a key lime pie and a chocolate pecan pie, along with a plain pie crust so he can try it. I will make the pies and the crust tomorrow so they will be fresh.

I do have one question, though. Would it be appropriate for me to ask his mother for her apple pie recipe?
                                And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
                                Deuteronomy 6.5

Comment

Working...
                                X