X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fabric Question

No, he doesn't. He's foreign and doesn't know better.

Otto! Get out of here and leave the women to their gibbering!
    sigpic

“We must reassert that the essence of Christianity is the love of obedience to God’s Laws and that how that complete obedience is used or implemented does not concern us.”

Author of such illuminating essays as,
    Map of the Known World; Periodic Table of Elements; The History of Linguistics; The Errors of Wicca; Dolphins and Evolution; The History of Landover (The Apology); Landover and the Civil War; 2000 Racial Slurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Otto Pruefer View Post
      Hello Ladies of Landover!

I tell you there is soft spot in my heart for burlap as it is known in many countries as "hessian" which is from my home State of Hesse in Germany! I do not feel that it is very good for clothing as it is quite abrasive and was used as a "hairshirt" for self-punishment by many Catholics so this must be avoided.

Most handy for sandbags and there has been many floodings in Germany these months!

-Otto
      Oh, my! A MAN! Did you try to come inside our shack in search of pie? It requires a lot of work to get inside of our private place here.
      1 Samuel 8:13 "And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cookes, and to be bakers."
      Naomi Ruth Lamb, Proprietress:
      Naomi's Moist Pie - Unsaved Unwelcome!
      Locations in 50 States and Canada
      !Voted Best Pie in Freehold!
      Once you've tasted Naomi's pie, you'll crave it again and again and again and again.
      Baptist pastors always receive a 50% discount.

Comment

The harshness of burlap shouldn't be a major issue. Before use (before you even start sewing it) wash it at least 3 times with half the quantity of detergent you'd normally use, a little chlorine bleach and extra fabric softener. Between each wash, dry it in the dryer (expect lots of lint). After 3 washes, it will be much softer than when you started. And it won't have that dreadful smell.

Comment

Very useful information, Ma-of-7-soon-to-be-8! The breadth of knowledge of the Ladies of Landover never ceases to amaze me.

Slightly off-topic, did you all see the fabulous picture that Sister Mary Etheldreda posted of absolutely rocking the natural, undyed burlap look?

2 Timothy 3:16

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Comment

Yes Mrs Hun. Hopefully, this may give some of the ladies some inspiration. Burlap clothing need not be the dull drab garb that it sounds.

Comment

@Basilissa: What a wonderful suggestion! Those colors are quite lovely!

@Mother of Seven: First of all, I'd like to congratulate you on the future birth of your son! Your advice is greatly appreciated!

@Attila's Wife: That is a wonderful picture!

I'll start figuring out the colors that I want to use. Are there any Biblical requirements about dye colors or kinds? I've looked, but i haven't found anything. I figured I'd ask you ladies just in case my female mind somehow missed a passage about dyes.
              And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
              Deuteronomy 6.5

Comment

I don't recall any actual taboos on any particular color. My only personal feeling on this one, Sister, is that you should keep it simple.

Exodus 26:1 Moreover thou shalt make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubims of cunning work shalt thou make them.

Now that's all very lovely in its place, but I'm guessing you don't want your husband to tell you that you look like a tabernacle curtain!

2 Timothy 3:16

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I have not found a True Christian™ husband, but I am sure that looking like a tabernacle curtain would be quite embarrassing.
                  And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
                  Deuteronomy 6.5

Comment

Originally posted by Esther B. View Post
                    I know that I probably shouldn't be double posting, but I have another question. Is it possible to dye burlap? If it is, what kind of dye should I use and how would I go about dyeing it?
                    Sister Esther,

Here is an easy guide my Grandmother for dyeing burlap. I also have her great recipe book as well!! Always happy to share it.

1. Prewash the burlap in hot water. Add 1/4 cup of Synthrapol, a type of washing detergent that removes sizing, . This step is particularly important if there is any chance the burlap has any sort of oil or dirt on it.

2.Mix the dye into warm water. Make a paste by mixing a small amount of warm water with the fiber reactive dye. Use a non-metallic utensil to combine the water with the dye. The result will be a thick, pasty consistency. Once the dye has dissolved, add 1 cup of warm water to the paste and stir until the paste has been evenly distributed into the warm water. Add all of the dye to the tub that you'll use to color the fabric and mix it thoroughly.
                    Dissolve non-iodized salt in a little water at a lukewarm temperature. Add the salt-water mixture to the dyeing tub, which may be a washing machine or any large container.

3.Place the fabric into the dyeing tub. Agitate the fabric and dye together for 20 minutes. This is where the use of a washing machine comes in handy, because it can be set to agitate to ensure the fabric is continuously stirred. Ensure that the water does not drain out of the dyeing tub before 20 minutes. I Use a utensil, such as a large wooden spoon, to stir the fabric in the dye gently.

4.Add the soda ash and water mixture to the tub, slowly. It is important that the fabric and dye are stirred continuously during this time. It takes about 15 minutes to add the soda ash in small increments to the tub. Take care not to pour the soda ash directly onto the fabric because it will lead to discoloration and uneven dyeing. After the soda ash has been added to the tub, continue to agitate the mixture of soda ash, fabric and dye together for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

5.Rinse out the excess dye from the burlap fabric. This can be done by running cool water over the dyed burlap until the water runs clear or by placing the fabric into washing machine’s rinse cycle multiple times. After the water runs clear from the burlap, wash the dyed burlap in the washing machine using hot water and Synthrapol detergent (easier to find these days).
                    Use 1 1/2 cups of salt and 1/6 cup of soda ash for every 1 1/2 gallons of water in your dye bath.

TIP: If the dye does not easily dissolve into the water, add 1 tablespoon of urea to a cup of warm water prior to adding the fabric to the dye.
                    sigpic

Charter Member Pearland, Texas

Comment

Sister Tara, You should turn on your PMs. Click on UserCP and go from there.

Comment

On your profile privacy, set Visitors Messages to 'Everyone'.
                        Under 'edit options', ensure you have 'enable private messaging' checked and 'Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators' unchecked.

Comment

Thank you, Tara! Just out of curiosity, will the soda ash need to be dissolved in water or made into a paste before it's added to the dye mixture?
                          Deuteronomy 6.5

Comment

Originally posted by Attila's Wife View Post
                            I don't recall any actual taboos on any particular color
                            While maybe there is no taboo on colors, one is 'painting' theirself.
                            The color is the vanity bleeding through.
                            Apò toû hēlíou metástēthi

Comment

Originally posted by arthur frayn View Post
                              How can there be vanity? When you're in the menstra shack no one sees you. Designs are merely experiments for making clothing in nicer fabrics for everyday wear, and dying is for something to do over the days spent in there. The female brain can only read the Bible so many times each month - it needs occasional relief at things less intellectual.

Comment

Originally posted by arthur frayn View Post
                                Says the guy with the napkin on his head...
                                Who Will Jesus Damn?

Here is a partial list from just a few scripture verses:

Hypocrites (Matthew 24:51), The Unforgiving (Mark 11:26), Homosexuals (Romans 1:26, 27), Fornicators (Romans 1:29), The Wicked (Romans 1:29), The Covetous (Romans 1:29), The Malicious (Romans 1:29), The Envious (Romans 1:29), Murderers (Romans 1:29), The Deceitful (Romans 1:29), Backbiters (Romans 1:30), Haters of God (Romans 1:30), The Despiteful (Romans 1:30), The Proud (Romans 1:30), Boasters (Romans 1:30), Inventors of evil (Romans 1:30), Disobedient to parents (Romans 1:30), Covenant breakers (Romans 1:31), The Unmerciful (Romans 1:31), The Implacable (Romans 1:31), The Unrighteous (1Corinthians 6:9), Idolaters (1Corinthians 6:9), Adulterers (1Corinthians 6:9), The Effeminate (1Corinthians 6:9), Thieves (1Corinthians 6:10), Drunkards (1Corinthians 6:10), Reviler (1Corinthians 6:10), Extortioners (1Corinthians 6:10), The Fearful (Revelation 21:8), The Unbelieving (Revelation 21:8), The Abominable (Revelation 21:8), Whoremongers (Revelation 21:8), Sorcerers (Revelation 21:8), All Liars (Revelation 21:8)

Need Pastoral Advice? Contact me privately at PastorEzekiel@landoverbaptist.net TODAY!!

Comment

Working...
                                X