• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: intro from a scotchman

Originally posted by Two-Dollar Bill View Post
    He says. After this:

So typical.

God had the Bible made.
    For over 6,000 years, since time began, He has been telling everyone to read and follow it or suffer in Hell
    Then every day, a person comes along and decides 'they know better than God, the Creator'.
    If it were not for His Abundant Love, I do not think I could get out of bed each and every day!
    Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
    Amos 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?
    Numbers 21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
    Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
    Matthew 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
    Matthew 10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Comment

@ James I'm hardly the religious scholar but quoting me a wall of text doesn't serve to enlighten me.

Biblical passages which are written in an outdated langauge whose words are no longer spoken on earth can have different interpretations depending on where in the world they are to be read, no offense but I'd rather take the definition from a theologian unless of course you can put it into your own words , I'd rather hear your opinion afterall than the text from the bible. Thats how I'd get to know you as a person like you wish to get to know me also.

@two-dollar-bill, im not here to help you research the world and find out about cultural heritage or the history of countries , I too grew up without access to computers in school well pre internet anyway, all of the things I stated I learned about in school in history and geography books.

As innocent as they have been you have already made attempts to mock me and my cultural heritage so forgive me if my response came across as "snide" but I was taught to think for myself and form my own opinions through the acquisition of knowledge, however I am glad I could have imparted some knowledge to yourself , as they say you learn something new every day.

@Naomi, Hi again you all seem to make wild assumptions and speculate on things you have no knowledge of, my fiance' is a very lucky woman, she is truly blessed.

Sorry but I'm afraid that no one rules over me , and whats this Ruth 1;15 have you created your own biblical passages or your own interpretation of gods will ? Not very christian of you to take the divine word and reinterpret their meanings. That would be akin to God telling us that we are all equal and gods children and then you telling everyone that doesn't agree with your opinion that they are filth and will rot in hell , oh yeh sorry thats exactly what you have done!

Thanks for the brief exchange it never fails to amaze me the heights of some peoples ignorance

Comment

Originally posted by sapien82 View Post
        ...You all seem very judgemental , quite the folly for a christian to judge others...
        Yes, you should read your Bible again. You must have missed this bit:

The Most MISUNDERSTOOD Passage in All the Bible (Matthew 7:1-5)

You can read it online here.

Comment

@ James I'm hardly the religious scholar but quoting me a wall of text doesn't serve to enlighten me.

Biblical passages which are written in an outdated langauge whose words are no longer spoken on earth can have different interpretations depending on where in the world they are to be read, no offense but I'd rather take the definition from a theologian unless of course you can put it into your own words , I'd rather hear your opinion afterall than the text from the bible. Thats how I'd get to know you as a person like you wish to get to know me also.
          Well Paul, you claimed to know that we had no right to judge you. I merely gave you some of the passages from the Holy Bible that tell us we MUST judge you.

Only a fool thinks they can 'interpret' the Word of God. Do you honestly (and are you so pompous) think you know better than Him?

My opinion is God is right, each and every time.
          2nd Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Habakkuk 2:2 And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.
          (God told the prophet what to write.)

Jeremiah 36:2 Take thee a roll of a book, and write therein all the words that I have spoken unto thee against Israel, and against Judah, and against all the nations, from the day I spake unto thee, from the days of Josiah, even unto this day.
          (God told the prophet what to write.)

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
          Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
          Amos 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?
          Numbers 21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
          Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
          Matthew 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Comment

Biblical passages which are written in an outdated langauge whose words are no longer spoken on earth
            Hello sweetie. I was unaware that English was a dead language which (not whose, language is not a person) "words are no longer spoken on earth." Do you think this Godly forum is the last place on Earth where we still use it?

can have different interpretations depending on where in the world they are to be read, no offense but I'd rather take the definition from a theologian unless of course you can put it into your own words , I'd rather hear your opinion afterall than the text from the bible.
            It's written in plain English, what is to interpret?

Sorry but I'm afraid that no one rules over me , and whats this Ruth 1;15 have you created your own biblical passages or your own interpretation of gods will ? Not very christian of you to take the divine word and reinterpret their meanings.
            In the passage above you say we should interpret. Now you say we shouldn't. Make up your mind, sweetie!

That would be akin to God telling us that we are all equal and gods children
            If you have ever read the Bible you would have known that He did not say that.
            God created fossils to test our faith.

My favorite LBC sermons:
            True Christians are Perfect!
            True Christian™ Love.
            Salvation™ made Easy!
            You can’t be a Christian if you don’t believe the Old Testament.
            Jesus is impolite. Deal with it.
            Jesus is xenophobic and so should we.
            Sanctity of Life is NOT a Biblical Concept.
            Biblical view on modern-day slavery.
            The Immorality of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights."
            Geneva Conventions vs. The Holy Bible.
            God HATES Rational Thinking!
            True Christian™ Man as a spitting image of God.

Comment

@ Two dollar bill , that was a question not a judgement , you speak and understand english so you should know that at the end of a sentence where question mark is placed it means the person is asking a question of the subject.

@James , god created everything right including the bible?
              trees plants , the heavens the sun , the universe everything and you know that he created us also , so why then did God give us the ability to use logic and reason to postulate on our existance and give us the choice of free will , had he wanted us to be slaves to his will he wouldnt have made us with such a wonderful brain which gives us these fantastic abilities to question everything he has made for us even our origins and why we are here and given us the choice to choose what we want to believe , since it was his test of our faith and since god gifted me with this choice I can choose when I want to believe in God not you or anyone else and neither you or anyone else can judge me accept god.
              and that is my understanding of the concept of god and not you or anyone else can change my opinion did the bible not teach you to respect other peoples beliefs ?
              Or do you resent other people because they dont share the same belief as you when you try to give the word of god to them as a gift.

Comment

...did the bible not teach you to respect other peoples beliefs ?...
                Was that before or after all those tribes that didn't believe in Jealous were slaughtered (along with their women [except the rape-worthy ones], children, animals, even their crops and trees)?

I keep forgetting.

Comment

As innocent as they have been you have already made attempts to mock me and my cultural heritage so forgive me if my response came across as "snide" but I was taught to think for myself and form my own opinions through the acquisition of knowledge, however I am glad I could have imparted some knowledge to yourself , as they say you learn something new every day.
                  Please point out any attempts that I made to mock you. I would certainly never falsely judge a fellow Christian in such a manner. If my ignorance of your country is seen as "mocking" then that is my fault, and the reason behind my inquiring about the possible cessation of Scotland from Great Britain (not England, my bad). I was also taught to think for myself, and I do, and I teach my three boys the same. But I also teach them manners and about how great Jesus is and how important it is to accept our Lord and let him guide us in our life. I'm sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, maybe we can start over. I'll ask a simple question about Scotland and see if you can answer it without judging me.

Mr. Adam please tell me more about the following as I am curious.

How many people speak Scottish (the Gaelic one, not the accent) and are steps being made to increase the number of speakers? How would this compare to other minority languages found in the British Isles?

Thanks!

YIC,
                  £1.21-Bill (I did the conversion )
                  Daniel 5:16-18 "Let thy gifts be to thyself, and give thy rewards to another; yet I will read the writing unto the king, and make known to him the interpretation."

Comment

wait im confused the bible is gods word , so no room for interpretation at all right ?

so for example you cant read it and say "what I think god means is"

Since jesus is gods only son , does that also apply to Christs teachings that there is no room for interpretation and to be taken as written ?

because im reading one thing from the bible quotes and getting a different interpretation from the members here

Contrary to popular belief, Matthew 7:1-5 is not a prohibition against all judgment. These verses are a warning against hypocritical judgment, not judgment in itself. Jesus is saying we cannot judge others when we are guilty of the same sin. Let's look at the verses and I will guide you through them using my 45 years of pastoral experience and two doctorate degrees at the helm. 1Judge not, that ye be not judged.
                    2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

then I was told you can judge if your are deemed righteous, who makes the decisions on your righteousness ?

Sorry all of your posts are helping me understand the very confusing world of religion and all these interpretations are confusing, I mean am I to listen to gods word and take my own meaning or am I to listen to your interpretations

Comment

Agreed Bill,

So Gaelic unfortunately is a dying langauge , it is not taught in schools as it should be save for the schools in the outer islands of Scotland parts of Wales and Ireland mainly the outer Hebridies

In Scotland it is mainly in the highlands where it is spoken fluently but by a small population I think as little as around 7000 people speak it.

However should Scotland gain independence Im sure there will be a true cultural revival and it will be a mandatory langauge to be learned in school to preserve our national langauge.

Gaelic being our native langauge , however this eventually was replaced by English, yet Scots still maintained a cultural identity by speaking Auld scots , the best examples of this are Robert Burns poems , one you maybe familiar with is song worldwide on new year Auld lang Syne.

Im sorry to dissapoint you Bill but Im not a christian , I just wanted to come here to shed some light on Scotland , its really a lovely place with great history and a rich culture, you will be pleased to know it was a stronghold for christianity for hundreds of years during the dark ages.

if you have any further questions I'd be happy to share ,if you are willing to answer questions to help me understand the more diifficult parts of the bible and its literal meaning if you are well versed.

Thanks for your apology and I too apologise If I have in any way offended you.

Comment

Agreed Bill,

So Gaelic unfortunately is a dying langauge , it is not taught in schools as it should be save for the schools in the outer islands of Scotland parts of Wales and Ireland mainly the outer Hebridies...
                        Thanks for your apology and I too apologise If I have in any way offended you.
                        You may not be a Christian, which makes me sad, but you are a nice person to spend the time answering my question.

Tapadh leat (I "googled" it, although it may be the wrong tense.)
                        Daniel 5:16-18 "Let thy gifts be to thyself, and give thy rewards to another; yet I will read the writing unto the king, and make known to him the interpretation."

Comment

Originally posted by Didymus Much View Post
                          Was that before or after all those tribes that didn't believe in Jealous were slaughtered (along with their women [except the rape-worthy ones], children, animals, even their crops and trees)?

I keep forgetting.

Sorry Didymus so your saying you dont respect other peoples beliefs ?
                          and Im a lawful human being and I dont murder or rape regardless of who says its ok to do so I have morals rape and murder or harm upon anyone in anyway is wrong.

Seems as though from what you have posted is that God is quite ok with rape and murder as long as its done in his name and no other gods , yet Jesus is quite the opposite and against doing any harm to anyone ?

can you maybe explain this to me since arent they meant to be one and the same as of each other , God , the lord, and jesus christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Two-Dollar Bill View Post
                            You may not be a Christian, which makes me sad, but you are a nice person to spend the time answering my question.

Tapadh leat (I "googled" it, although it may be the wrong tense.)

I may not be christian by definition but I certainly am a good person who believes we are all created equally and that we are all connected together and we should be lawful and moral

Im glad you took the time to find that , hey now learn to pronounce it !
                            I doubt you would get it over where you are but there is a Gaelic channel here in Scotland , and its interesting to listen to the langauge

and should you wish to , that very phrase is here for you to learn

This is the first dialogue from the Teach Yourself Gaelic book with an extensive explaination.

Comment

Sorry Didymus so your saying you dont respect other peoples beliefs ?...
                              If I was going to be a Christian, I wouldn't, because the Bible contains no such directions.

As I am not Christian, I am free to respect other's beliefs (but I usually don't anyways, because almost all religious thought is based on xenophobia, tribalism, and superstition).

...Seems as though from what you have posted is that God is quite ok with rape and murder as long as its done in his name and no other gods , yet Jesus is quite the opposite and against doing any harm to anyone ?...
                              Nope.

Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Anything in the Bible about not harming others is specifically about other Bible-believing Christians.

...can you maybe explain this to me since arent they meant to be one and the same as of each other , God , the lord, and jesus christ.
                              Here's the verse you were thinking of:

John 10:30 "I and my Father are one."

Comment

...@James , god created everything right including the bible?
                                trees plants , the heavens the sun , the universe everything and you know that he created us also , so why then did God give us the ability to use logic and reason to postulate on our existance and give us the choice of free will , had he wanted us to be slaves to his will he wouldnt have made us with such a wonderful brain which gives us these fantastic abilities to question everything he has made for us even our origins and why we are here and given us the choice to choose what we want to believe , since it was his test of our faith and since god gifted me with this choice I can choose when I want to believe in God not you or anyone else and neither you or anyone else can judge me accept god.
                                and that is my understanding of the concept of god and not you or anyone else can change my opinion did the bible not teach you to respect other peoples beliefs ?
                                Or do you resent other people because they dont share the same belief as you when you try to give the word of god to them as a gift.
                                Now that is the BS a typical atheist says.

God does not force us to do anything. He wants us to prove our unerring commitment to Him. He gave us the gift of 'Free Will'. You are more than welcome to spread prostate for Satan, God is fine with that. Jesus may weep, but God wants you to give yourself freely to Him.
                                It is in the Bible. I'd give you the scripture but you made it abundantly clear, you hate His Word and refuse to look at it. I'm curious, does it make your eyes burn?

Comment

Working...
                                X