View Single Post
(#7)
Old
Unsaved trash

aUniversityStudent is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: The Christian's Guide To Detecting Demonic Music - 12-08-2012, 09:02 AM

This thread is very interesting and important to me because it is about none other than Music! One of my favorite pasttimes and hobbies...I occasionally dabble on the piano and guitar when I get the chance to though I am not very good. However I am trying to understand the biblical and Christian context behind your original posting. I am not concerned with modern pop-culture garbage that is spewed out of hollywood and sold to young minds. You will get no argument from me on the mind-warping effects of their music. However I would like to focus on the actual, music theory applications of your words. You say any song that is not in the key of Cmajor is not godly. While I don't know much about the faith and Jesus' teachings (yet) I am trying to learn, and this might be a good opportunity for me.

I am truly sorry to hear that C Major is the only acceptable key for music to be written in. Perhaps this is because of my favorite song, which I may no long be able to enjoy the beauty of. It is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring written by Bach (one of the greatest men and composers to live). I first heard the song performed on a full organ as a child and immediately fell in love with it. However the song is in the key of G and the version that I have printed for my piano is at 102 bpm. So this beautiful piece, written for the purpose of worshiping Jesus by a devout Christian who dedicated much of his professional life to producing music that gives glory to god is satanic? He proclaimed, as you do now, that the main purpose of music is none other than to glorify God. Where is the sense in this, if I may? A song that touches my heart and calls to my spirit for all these years, all just an evil trick of Satan? What a terrible world this must be! Perhaps it would be more appropriate of me, instead, to ask for some Biblical context so that I may change my ways.

Also I would like to point out the discussion on chords. In fact I am sitting at a piano now so perhaps someone who has some music background knowledge to help guide me. You say that any minor chord is somehow infused with Satan? I do not understand this and when I play a minor chord I see no evidence that any entity, good or evil has even noticed my achievement. Alas, the first time I played a full piano song with no mistakes nobody noticed and that shouldn't be asking for much I kidding. Anyway I am in the key of C major, a good key. I play the root chord (C E G) which is a major chord and thus good. However if all of a sudden I changed my mind and decided this song is actually in the key of A minor (lets say I wanted to tempt fate a bit), this CEG chord then becomes a minor chord (am9). These three notes (CEG) are both major AND minor chords, so are they then good and evil at the same time? Of course you could always back up and say "well not if there is no minor key" but I am sure you know that the circle of fifths and relative minor keys do exist...what are we to do? Next I find that we are not to play white and black notes together on the keyboard? How am I to play a Bb Major Chord (Bb D F) which uses white and black notes? I am sure that I just have made a mistake in my reasoning somewhere, and hope for your guidance.

PS in lieu of posting I watched some Christian youtube videos that describe how the "heavy metulz" bands these days can affect people. It is asserted in the videos that satanic metulz bands can call upon the powers of demons live, on stage, during performances (!) which can enhance their skill and speed (especially on drums). In your view is this an acceptable claim and what would Jesus have to say about those who try and use demon-enhanced skills to play their instruments better than the rest of us?

I hope you view my questions as serious and legitimate- and that simply by laying out my ignorance and questions and plainly as I can, with as little bias as I can, you will see that I truly want to know what Christians believe on this issue. I suppose the fate of my eternal soul is worth critically looking at what music I am choosing to hear as well!

-AUS