View Single Post
(#70)
Old
Forum Member

Calvinist is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.Calvinist is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.Calvinist is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Default Re: How Do I get Saved? A Guide for the Lost! - 03-26-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4God View Post

GOD has given us freewill to either choose the free gift of eternal life by doing everything He says, or eternal damnation in a lake of fire by disobedience.

(This may sound like an ultimatum, but really it's a choice.)

This means that any person who will not or cannot believe or understand is going to Hell.

Hello,

I'd like to put this out there, and at the end I'd appreciate it if anyone could remember my question. "Does regeneration precede faith?"

And I am just curious... are you saying that man has autonomous free will? I personally do not believe that it is in the ability of man to believe or reject the gospel freely (in the libertarian sense). Man has no libertarian free will to choose any redemptive good, since his affections are entirely in bondage to sin (until Christ sets him free) and cannot choose otherwise. Scripture defines freedom, not as libertarians do, but as the freedom from the bondage to sin, since we are slaves of sin until the Son sets us free (John 8; Rom 6). Biblical freedom is the freedom to do what is pleasing to God (John 8:34-36; Rom 6:15-23; 2 Cor 3:17) and this freedom from sin is granted in the redemptive work of Christ. Yet the Scripture nowhere says anything about the freedom to choose either contrary or apart from our desires. We either desire and love Christ or we despise him, and if we choose Him, this is the result of sovereign grace giving us a heart of flesh, not a result of nature itself (John 1:13; Rom 9:16).

Man is indeed responsible for the choices he makes, yet deny that the Bible teaches that man has a free will since it is no where taught in the pages of Scripture. The Bible teaches, rather, that God ordains all things that come to pass (Eph 1:11) and it also teaches that man is culpable for his choices (Ezek 18:20, Matt 12:37, John 9:41). Since the Scripture is our ultimate authority and highest presuppsosition, the multitude of clear scriptural declarations on this matter outweigh all unaided human logic.

I don't mean to overly emphasize some point you had not meant, but I am only attempting to get a feel about what everyone here believes, that is, whether there are divisive issues that people side apart from or against. Now back to the question?