View Single Post
(#2)
Old
True Christian™
True Christian™

Heaven Bound Protected by JESUS Ready for the Rapture Friend of Jesus Most Obedient True Christian™ True Christian Lady Best stoning bucket Touched by Jesus True Christian Beauty Ex-eurotrash Real American™ In Love With Zeke One Year/1000 posts Hands Off

Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!Attila's Wife will sit at the right hand of Jesus Himself come the Glory!
Default Re: Don't Give Panhandlers Even One Thin Dime. - 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Mr Mayor, sir, I have always struggled to make sense of the parable of the good Samaritan, which seems to contradict your excellent advice. Now I wonder if I simply misunderstood the message. Let's have a look at Luke 10:30-37:

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

Now Jesus doesn't tell us anything about this man, though my guess would be that he was a poor Jew - I mean, if all they took was his clothes, I guess he had no money and nothing else worth stealing?

31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

Priest in this context would be a rabbi, I guess?

32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

Another Jew.

33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

And yet another one, but a "compassionate Jew", if that is not an oxymormon?

34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

Now this sounds good, but you have to wonder about the motives of a man who takes another man to a hotel.

35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

Two pence? That's even less than a dime!

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

Well who knows? This is a trick question, because we aren't told where he lived! We don't know if he was from Jerusalem, just visiting Jericho, or if he was on his way home to Jericho after visiting Jerusalem. And we don't know where the priest, the Levite or the Samaritan lived either.

37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Now here's the crunch. Which one was "He that shewed mercy on him"? Surely not the guy who poured wine into his wounds - ouch! If the robbed man was so poor that he had nothing worth stealing, wouldn't the merciful thing have been to have left him to die?

I suspect that was setting us an intelligence test here, one which, up to now, I have failed. Thank you, Brother Mayor, for pointing me in the right direction.

YiC
AW

2 Timothy 3:16

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: