View Single Post
(#28)
Old
Unsaved trash

Cherry-picker Fluffy bunny

epignosis is a sorcerer and idolater who follows false gods and will rot in Hell.
Default Re: The Most MISUNDERSTOOD Passage in All the Bible (Matthew 7:1- - 04-13-2011, 04:58 PM

I would like to add a few more comments on this 'perfection'

1 Kings 8:46-48 (King James Version)

46If they sin against thee, (for there is no man that sinneth not,) and thou be angry with them, and deliver them to the enemy, so that they carry them away captives unto the land of the enemy, far or near;

Proverbs 20:9 (King James Version)

9Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?

These scriptures say that all men are sinners.

I John 3:6-9 (KJV)
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1 John 3:6-9 (New Living Translation)

6 Anyone who continues to live in him will not sin. But anyone who keeps on sinning does not know him or understand who he is.

7 Dear children, don’t let anyone deceive you about this: When people do what is right, it shows that they are righteous, even as Christ is righteous. 8 But when people keep on sinning, it shows that they belong to the devil, who has been sinning since the beginning. But the Son of God came to destroy the works of the devil. 9 Those who have been born into God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life[a] is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God.

Do you see in this scripture that it is the practice of sin that is evil. And it is our not practising sin any more that we are counted as righteous. It doesn't mean we are perfect, or sinless.
The KJV doesn't give the full meaning to this verse.

1 John 5:18 (King James Version)

18We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

1 John 5:18 (Amplified Bible)

18We know [absolutely] that anyone born of God does not [deliberately and knowingly] practice committing sin, but the One Who was begotten of God carefully watches over and protects him [Christ's divine presence within him preserves him against the evil], and the wicked one does not lay hold (get a grip) on him or touch [him].

1 John 5:18 (New Living Translation)

18 We know that God’s children do not make a practice of sinning, for God’s Son holds them securely, and the evil one cannot touch them.

I added some other translations of the verse in 1 John 5:18.
The KJV is not very good with this verse. The other translations give a better understanding. It is not that we are perfect or sinless, but that we strive not to practice sin any more. That is how God counts us righteous or perfect. But we are not righteous or perfect like Jesus was, as a man.