X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Verses to quote to your children

In the spirit of training up my children in the way they should go... what would be the top 10 verses you would like to instill in your children for their moral character and strength?

For example... "you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you".

What would be your top 10? Chapter and verse if you can remember them.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Re: Favorite Verses to quote to your children

Every night before bed I make my little soldiers recite these loving passages:

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
    Psalm 137:9

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it."
    Malachi 2:3

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."
    Leviticus 20:9

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before
    a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion
    Leviticus:18 22-23

"Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."
    Hosea 13:16

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
    Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
    And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
    And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."
    Deuteronomy 21:18-21

"And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:"
    Deuteronomy 28:53

"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
    For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
    Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety."
    1 Timothy 2:12-15

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"
    2 Corinthians 6:14

Thou shalt notsuffer a witch to live.
    Exodus 22:18
    Luke 5:31
    And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Clampett View Post
      Every night before bed I make my little soldiers recite these loving passages:

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
      Psalm 137:9

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it."

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."
      Leviticus 20:9

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before
      a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion
      Leviticus:18 22-23

"Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."
      Hosea 13:16

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
      Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
      And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
      And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."

"And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:"
      Deuteronomy 28:53

"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
      For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
      And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
      Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety."
      1 Timothy 2:12-15

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"
      2 Corinthians 6:14

Thou shalt notsuffer a witch to live.
      Exodus 22:18
      That was inspirational Nurse Clampett. Your children are truly blessed!

Yours in Christ
      Brother Lazarus
      In the Beginning God created the Heaven and the Earth. Genesis 1.1. This scripture is the first verse of the Bible for a reason. It lays the foundation for the absolute truth found in God's Holy WORD, the Bible.

Comment

Though I have no children of my own, I often attend to my brothers child and before I lay her down for a nap I always recite this to her.

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

sigpic
        Praise Jesus! For He alone saves

Comment

^^^

That's wonderful! It's good for children to hear the Word of God and know how it can be applied today. I often tell my daughters the story of the hospital intern who thought it was unfair a patient didn't pay his bill when he could easily have done so. The intern tracked the patient down, received the money without confrontation, and returned to the doctor so the bill would be paid. The doctor, angry with this turn of events, promptly injected the intern with the AIDS virus.

This is essentially what Elisha, a man of God did to his own servant (2 Kings 5:20-27). I want my children to know they should never ever ever assume they know more than a man of God (which today is their father, tomorrow is their husband, and forever more is their Pastor), or they too may be corrected in such a way as to make them wish they were never born. Without obedience, there is no peace, I always say. That's why God tells us our sole duty in life is to fear and obey Him (Ecclesiastes 12:13).

Hello, my name is Mary. I hope to fellowship with you! That is, unless you don't listen to church authority (Deuteronomy 17:12); are a witch (Exodus 22:17); are a homosexual (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:24-32); or fortuneteller (Leviticus 20:27) or a snotty kid who hits their dad (Exodus 21:15); or curses their parents (Proverbs 20:20; Leviticus 20:9); an adulterer (Leviticus 20:10); a non-Christian (Exodus 22:19; Deuteronomy 13:7-12; Deuteronomy 17:2-5;Romans 1:24-32); an atheist (2 Chronicles 15:12-13); or false prophet (Zechariah 13:3); from the town of one who worships another, false god (Deuteronomy 13:13-19); were a non-virgin bride (Deuteronomy 22:20-21); or blasphemer (Leviticus 24:10-16), as God calls for your execution and will no doubt send you to Hell, and I have no interest developing a friendship with the Spiritually Walking Dead.

Comment

One of my favorites for my kids.

Deuteronomy 28:63
            And it shall come to pass,*that*as the LORD rejoiced over you to do you good, and to multiply you; so the LORD will rejoice over you to destroy you, and to bring you to nought; and ye shall be plucked from off the land whither thou goest to possess it.
            When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets. Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

Comment

Like the entire book of Song of Solomon, because you don't want to leave any of the Bible to kids.
              Ecclesiastes 4:5 The fool foldeth his hands together, and eateth his own flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by homeofmew View Post
                Like the entire book of Song of Solomon, because you don't want to leave any of the Bible to kids.
                "Fuck you, I will corrupt your semen, and spread shit upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it."

Comment

I think you mean,

Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts;
                  and one shall take you away with it.

You should probably read this primer for noobs first, and be sure to use the King James Version Bible only when sharing your opinions. The rights you have on this forum can be read HERE.

I hope that helps.

Hello, my name is Mary. I hope to fellowship with you! That is, unless you don't listen to church authority (Deuteronomy 17:12); are a witch (Exodus 22:17); are a homosexual (Leviticus 20:13; Romans 1:24-32); or fortuneteller (Leviticus 20:27) or a snotty kid who hits their dad (Exodus 21:15); or curses their parents (Proverbs 20:20; Leviticus 20:9); an adulterer (Leviticus 20:10); a non-Christian (Exodus 22:19; Deuteronomy 13:7-12; Deuteronomy 17:2-5;Romans 1:24-32); an atheist (2 Chronicles 15:12-13); or false prophet (Zechariah 13:3); from the town of one who worships another, false god (Deuteronomy 13:13-19); were a non-virgin bride (Deuteronomy 22:20-21); or blasphemer (Leviticus 24:10-16), as God calls for your execution and will no doubt send you to Hell, and I have no interest developing a friendship with the Spiritually Walking Dead.

Comment

My four angels were all raised in a Godly house, and we have a short Bible study every night before lights out! Now that my dear Anna has graduated high school, she is embarking on her exciting college journey and has assured me that she'll bring her Bible with her to campus, and will be reading it every night. As for my oldest son Josiah, he is married and is expecting soon, so he has been asking me for certain quotes as well!

My darling Hannah, who's just turned four, loves the story of the prodigal son. It reminds her of how even though some people might stray, like how my sister is an "atheist", they will always come back and we will welcome her right back into the family as soon as she has some sense knocked back into her.

As for Thea, my ten-year-old, here are her two favourite verses.

Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.
                    (Deu 22:11) We like this one because it reminds of the sin of mixed cloth, such as polyester. If I ever saw my children wearing such a thing, it would be tossed into a fire to burn!

Luke 18:28-30 And Peter said, “See, we have left our homes and followed you.” (29) And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, (30) who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.”

Every child should have a Bible with them at all times! My daughter Thea will take it out whenever someone mentions God, to make sure not a single fact is mistaken. As for Josiah and Anna, I know they are joining every Christian group they can and are well on their ways to healthy, conservative Christian lives. My dear Hannah has already memorized some bible verses, and she's not even in school yet! If that's not a prodigy, I don't know what is!

Oh, and for all those moms that are expecting, you should still be reading to them! I'm in my second trimester with a beautiful baby boy and I read the Bible to him every chance I get. Of course, do NOT read him any "fairy tales" or anything that might instil devil-like thinking. That's when the devil gets them, when they're still inside you!

Comment

Originally posted by amythornton View Post
                      My four angels were all raised in a Godly house, and we have a short Bible study every night before lights out! Now that my dear Anna has graduated high school, she is embarking on her exciting college journey and has assured me that she'll bring her Bible with her to campus, and will be reading it every night.
                      What in tarnation does she need to go to college for? Was there some advanced ironing technique you were too inept to teach her or something?
                      Psalm 137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Comment

Originally posted by amythornton View Post
                        My four angels were all raised in a Godly house, and we have a short Bible study every night before lights out! Now that my dear Anna has graduated high school, she is embarking on her exciting college journey and has assured me that she'll bring her Bible with her to campus, and will be reading it every night. As for my oldest son Josiah, he is married and is expecting soon, so he has been asking me for certain quotes as well!

My darling Hannah, who's just turned four, loves the story of the prodigal son. It reminds her of how even though some people might stray, like how my sister is an "atheist", they will always come back and we will welcome her right back into the family as soon as she has some sense knocked back into her.

As for Thea, my ten-year-old, here are her two favourite verses.

Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.
                        (Deu 22:11) We like this one because it reminds of the sin of mixed cloth, such as polyester. If I ever saw my children wearing such a thing, it would be tossed into a fire to burn!

Luke 18:28-30 And Peter said, “See, we have left our homes and followed you.” (29) And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, (30) who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.”

Every child should have a Bible with them at all times! My daughter Thea will take it out whenever someone mentions God, to make sure not a single fact is mistaken. As for Josiah and Anna, I know they are joining every Christian group they can and are well on their ways to healthy, conservative Christian lives. My dear Hannah has already memorized some bible verses, and she's not even in school yet! If that's not a prodigy, I don't know what is!

Oh, and for all those moms that are expecting, you should still be reading to them! I'm in my second trimester with a beautiful baby boy and I read the Bible to him every chance I get. Of course, do NOT read him any "fairy tales" or anything that might instil devil-like thinking. That's when the devil gets them, when they're still inside you!
                        Hello, dear, and to God's favorite forum! Say, why don't you hop to the Introduction Forum and create an introduction thread, so we can all get to know you better?
                        God created fossils to test our faith.

My favorite LBC sermons:
                        True Christians are Perfect!
                        True Christian™ Love.
                        Salvation™ made Easy!
                        You can’t be a Christian if you don’t believe the Old Testament.
                        Jesus is impolite. Deal with it.
                        Jesus is xenophobic and so should we.
                        Sanctity of Life is NOT a Biblical Concept.
                        Biblical view on modern-day slavery.
                        The Immorality of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights."
                        Geneva Conventions vs. The Holy Bible.
                        God HATES Rational Thinking!
                        True Christian™ Man as a spitting image of God.

Comment

My favorite is found in Genesis chapter 22, where God tells Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. Now, I figure sometimes it's actually better to show a child something, than simply read it to them. Therefore, this is what I did to my son when he was 10 years old:

While he was away doing other chores, I climbed the hill behind our back yard and tied one of my neighbor's sheep to a tree...sorta hidden out of view. Then I walked back down and called my son. He answered: "Yes father... I am here!". So I said: "Come on boy.... me and you is gonna offer up a sacrifice to the Lord".

So I got him to carry a bunch of firewood up the hill, while I carried a butcher knife, some rope, and a wetstone for sharpening the knife. On the way up the hill, my son asked: "Father, what are we gonna be sacrificing to the Lord?" I simply answered: "Have faith little one, the Lord will provide a sacrifice for us."

When we finally got to the top of the hill, I cold cocked him one right in the side of the head, knocking him unconscious. I then tied him up with the rope, and put him on top of the firewood. When he came to, he was crying and stuff, saying: "Dad! What are you doing? Please stop!" But I kept sharpening the knife, and told him to quit being a pussy, and that the Lord wanted me to sacrifice him. As he was freaking out, I tried to calm him by saying: "Don't worry son, when I slit your throat, I'll do it quick so that you feel as little pain as possible before you die." For some reason, that didn't seem to calm him though.

Anyways, finally, I said to him: "Goodbye son, the Lord will take care of you from now on." Then I put the blade of the knife against his throat, and pressed down just a little bit, so he could feel it. Then all of a sudden I looked up and said: "What's that Lord? Don't kill the boy? There is a sheep tied to a tree around the corner over there? Sacrifice that instead?" Then I quickly got up and ran over and brought the sheep out. As my son was still tied up and watching, I slit the sheep's throat, and as the sheep's blood was pouring out all over my son, I said to my son: "You see how merciful the Lord is? He spared you, and now you're covered in the blood of the lamb! Praise Jesus!!!"

Sometimes reading to kids just doesn't get the message across clear enough. Sometimes they need you as a parent to show them these things. This is one experience I'm sure my son will not soon forget. Praise Jesus!
                          "With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men." - Judges 15:16

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Hall View Post
                            My favorite is found in Genesis chapter 22, where God tells Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. Now, I figure sometimes it's actually better to show a child something, than simply read it to them. Therefore, this is what I did to my son when he was 10 years old:

While he was away doing other chores, I climbed the hill behind our back yard and tied one of my neighbor's sheep to a tree...sorta hidden out of view. Then I walked back down and called my son. He answered: "Yes father... I am here!". So I said: "Come on boy.... me and you is gonna offer up a sacrifice to the Lord".

So I got him to carry a bunch of firewood up the hill, while I carried a butcher knife, some rope, and a wetstone for sharpening the knife. On the way up the hill, my son asked: "Father, what are we gonna be sacrificing to the Lord?" I simply answered: "Have faith little one, the Lord will provide a sacrifice for us."

When we finally got to the top of the hill, I cold cocked him one right in the side of the head, knocking him unconscious. I then tied him up with the rope, and put him on top of the firewood. When he came to, he was crying and stuff, saying: "Dad! What are you doing? Please stop!" But I kept sharpening the knife, and told him to quit being a pussy, and that the Lord wanted me to sacrifice him. As he was freaking out, I tried to calm him by saying: "Don't worry son, when I slit your throat, I'll do it quick so that you feel as little pain as possible before you die." For some reason, that didn't seem to calm him though.

Anyways, finally, I said to him: "Goodbye son, the Lord will take care of you from now on." Then I put the blade of the knife against his throat, and pressed down just a little bit, so he could feel it. Then all of a sudden I looked up and said: "What's that Lord? Don't kill the boy? There is a sheep tied to a tree around the corner over there? Sacrifice that instead?" Then I quickly got up and ran over and brought the sheep out. As my son was still tied up and watching, I slit the sheep's throat, and as the sheep's blood was pouring out all over my son, I said to my son: "You see how merciful the Lord is? He spared you, and now you're covered in the blood of the lamb! Praise Jesus!!!"

Sometimes reading to kids just doesn't get the message across clear enough. Sometimes they need you as a parent to show them these things. This is one experience I'm sure my son will not soon forget. Praise Jesus!
                            Mercy me, but this nearly moved me to tears. Other than the Bible itself, I would be hard pressed to remember anything I've read that was this inspirational.
                            Psalm 137:9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Comment

I just constantly remind my youth of my own favorite verse. It is listed below. It is the one thing that everyone needs to keep in mind at all times.
                              God judgeth the righteous, And God is angry with the wicked every day- Psalm 7:11

Comment

Working...
                              X