View Single Post
(#13)
Old
Forum Member
Forum Member

Location: In a Home for the Terminally Bewildered overlooking France from the coast of Kent, England
papparat is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.papparat is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.papparat is under investigation -- suspected to be Unsaved Trash.
Smile Re: Jesus was among the wealthiest 5 percent! - 07-05-2008, 10:06 AM

Dear Pastor Ezekiel,

Please re read, nowhere did I claim God was a Brit. He is an Englishman, which is well known amongst all civilised people, another Nationality entirely.

Regards & & respect & forgiveness too, as you are perhaps unaware of the defining nations of Great Britain As God is Omnipotent He would not need a Passport, a tad dangerous to suggest such a thing (beware lightening strikes!)

From the Time Travellers Guide to Stuart England

In 1634, William Prynne, a Puritan, is clamped in the stocks and has his ears cut off. He's offended Charles I by publishing Histriomastix, a massive attack on the profanity of stage plays. Charles I's wife, Henrietta Maria, is particularly annoyed by Prynne's denunciation of female actors, whom she employs for private entertainment.
The Prynne case shows how important religion is in 17th-century England. Everyone is obsessed by God, and every important event – from the Gunpowder Plot to the Popish Plot, and from the Civil Wars to the colonisation of Ireland – has a religious dimension.

God is an Englishman
Most English people believe that they are a 'godly nation', the chosen people. But religion is a tricky area – disputes about how to honour and praise God result in heated arguments and violent confrontations.
The fear is that Protestant England – widely seen as a free country – will be subverted by Roman Catholics who, in league with Continental powers, will impose a tyranny and force everyone to worship as Catholics.
Everyone, except for a tiny number of secret atheists, sees God's hand in everyday events, so wars, plagues and fires are all divine retribution for people's sins.
Monarchs are obeyed because they are God's appointed rulers (the 'divine right of kings'); the Bible is the most widely read book; and sermons from the pulpit are the equivalent of the television news.
Protestants and Catholics
The official religion is Protestantism, a reformed version of Christianity, and travellers from foreign lands who believe in Islam or Judaism are seen as heathens. Protestantism became the official religion with Henry VIII's reformation in the 1530s, when he split with the pope in Rome because he wanted a divorce from his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, who appeared to be unable to produce a son.
Since then, most of England's monarchs have been Protestants, although a sizeable minority of the population – an estimated 40,000 in 1603, mainly among the upper classes – remain Catholic. (See also Ireland).
When a monarch marries a Catholic – as Charles I does when he weds Henrietta Maria – or becomes one, as James II does, there is trouble. The religious policies of Charles lead to civil war, and his son James is forced to abdicate in 1689.
The existence of a Catholic minority also has other effects – people are paranoid about secret plots and fear civil unrest and invasion.
Puritans
As well as Catholics, there is another minority: the extreme Protestants known as Puritans, who are religious fundamentalists and want to reform the Church and society and make them much more pure. They believe that individuals can have direct communication with God without the need for bishops and an elaborate Church hierarchy.
Puritanism is a religion of the word (that is, the Bible) and of the individual. It stresses the role of divine providence in everyday events.
For example, when the Puritan diarist Adam Martindale's second son John – named after an earlier son who died young – also dies in infancy, Martindale and his wife think it might be a sign from God. They fear 'lest we had offended God by striving with his Providence to have a John'.
What do ordinary people think about Puritans? They are less than enthusiastic. In 1616, the people of Lancashire complain that local Puritans are trying to stop their usual Sunday amusements, including dancing and archery.
One Wiltshire girl describes her Puritan minister's sermons as 'bibble babble'. In 1633, James Nicholson of Yorkshire declares that 'I care not a fart of my tail' for any minister.
Power
When the Puritans get into power after the execution of Charles I in 1649, they close theatres and try to impose a godly pattern of behaviour on the 'unruly poor'.
They also fight furiously among themselves: the Independents, who believe that congregations should be self-governing, squabble with Presbyterians, who reckon they should bow to a central authority. In the last years of the century, a climate of toleration gradually arises as people become exhausted by religious bigotry.
In 1656, Oliver Cromwell allows Jewish people to settle in London for the first time since they were expelled in 1290. A synagogue opens in Creechurch Lane, Aldgate.
Radical sects
The differences between the smaller religious groups can be baffling. Anabaptists, plain Baptists, Presbyterians or Independents have been known to engage strangers in doctrinal disputes. Other radical groups include Quakers, Shakers, Ranters and Muggletonians, as well as dozens of weird and wonderful millenarian sects that emerge during the social upheaval of the Civil War.
Many groups, such as the Fifth Monarchy Men, believe in the immanent second coming of Christ and will try and persuade you that the end is nigh. Their proponents are often lower class in origin and may get into trouble with the authorities. (See DIY politics)
Some sects, such as the Quakers – founded in the 1640s by George Fox – believe that true Christians should 'quake' in awe before God. They think that everyone, including women, has the right to speak out during
meetings.

It is frequently stated that “God is an Englishmen”. I shall make no comment upon the veracity of this statement, beyond observing that no one can actually disprove it. I concede that if God is an Englishman, then maybe he is an ex-pat and has taken omnipresent residence in California.

See also :http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6?tag=untagged