The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Easter is About Jesus - Period! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Buddhists Steal Easter! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=76367)

Pastor Ezekiel 04-08-2012 05:26 AM

Buddhists Steal Easter!

THIS is outrageous! How can the buddhists get away with stealing Easter away from Christians and calling it "buddha's birthday"??!! :badmood:

Quote:

Buddhapalooza celebrates Buddha's birthday with sacred music, ceremonies and cake

The Zen Group of Chattanooga is celebrating the Buddha's birthday, and everyone is invited.

Buddhapalooza will take place on Saturday at the Barking Legs Theater, featuring performances, talks and meditation practices from three Buddhists traditions.

The day will also feature performances of sacred music, poets and plays based on Buddhist thought.

Organizers say attendees will be able to see and hear how Buddhism has influenced artists and others who are not necessarily practitioners.

The event is open to everyone from the casually curious to regular practitioners and is designed to present basic concepts in a nonthreatening way. A $7 suggested donation will be accepted at the event, but no one will be turned away.

"This is a way for people to explore some of the aspects of Buddhism without having to commit to a two-hour [meditation]," Janis Hashe, spokesperson for the group, said.

The day will begin with a traditional Japanese ceremony marking the Buddha's birth called Hanamatsuri and will close with a simple birthday cake complete with candles.

During Hanamatsuri, Hashe said whoever is present for the ceremony can participate by bringing garden flowers, which will be placed around a representation of a baby Buddha. Everyone then walks past the baby and pours water over it. According to an ancient legend, "sweet dew rained down from the sky to bathe the newborn prince," and the poured water is a symbol of the rain.

After the brief ceremony, the first of several short teachings, or "Dharma," talks with Shokai Steve Hart from the Atlanta Zen Center will be presented. Later, there will be a reading of Alan Ginsberg's "America" as well as meditation instruction and 15-minute group meditations. The "Tara Mandala Sangha," or community, will present sacred music and chanting. A reading of Buddhist-inspired poems and a short play will also be a part of the birthday celebration.

Throughout Asia, different countries recognize various dates in the year as the birthday of the Siddhattha Gotama, whose teachings are the foundation of Buddhism. Celebration traditions vary as well.

For the Zen Buddhists, who are hosting the event in Chattanooga and follow Japanese traditions, April 8 is the date widely accepted. Because that day falls on the same day as Easter Sunday in the Christian religion, the group decided to celebrate the day before.

"It is normal for Buddhists to celebrate other traditions. So we decided to have it on the 7th so people could celebrate both," Hashe said.

Hashe and the Zen Group of Chattanooga meet weekly on Sunday afternoons at ClearSpring Yoga from noon until 2 p.m. The group is a satellite center of the Atlanta Zen Center.

Plan to go
What: Buddhapalooza
When: Saturday, April 7, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Where: Barking Legs Theater
How much: $7 suggested donation

Fleur-de-lis 04-08-2012 07:19 AM

Re: Buddhists Steal Easter!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Ezekiel (Post 868593)
THIS is outrageous! How can the buddhists get away with stealing Easter away from Christians and calling it "buddha's birthday"??!! :badmood:

Easter doesn't fall on the same date each year - the date is determined by the lunar calendar used by early Pagans, and follows the vernal equinox. Birthdays do fall on the same date each year. So how exactly are the Buddhists "stealing" anything from you?

Redeemed Papist 04-08-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleur-de-lis (Post 868606)
Easter doesn't fall on the same date each year - the date is determined by the lunar calendar used by early Pagans, and follows the vernal equinox. Birthdays do fall on the same date each year. So how exactly are the Buddhists "stealing" anything from you?

In simple misconceptions is the ignorance of the unsaved shown.

Buddhists constantly steal from Baby Jesus every time they draw a breath that isn't inspired by the blood of Christ.

However, it's becoming more and more obvious you are an apologist for Wiccans and other made up pagan nonsense so I guess we're in for another typical tirade of feminist drivel and woo woo crystal healing garbage.

Fleur-de-lis 04-08-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed Papist (Post 868623)
In simple misconceptions is the ignorance of the unsaved shown.

Buddhists constantly steal from Baby Jesus every time they draw a breath that isn't inspired by the blood of Christ.

However, it's becoming more and more obvious you are an apologist for Wiccans and other made up pagan nonsense so I guess we're in for another typical tirade of feminist drivel and woo woo crystal healing garbage.

How does stating a simple fact about calendars make me an apologist for anyone?
And the only crystals I own are jewelry.

Redeemed Papist 04-08-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleur-de-lis (Post 868700)
How does stating a simple fact about calendars make me an apologist for anyone?
And the only crystals I own are jewelry.

Wasn't me who brought pagans into it. Why sully God's calendar which started with Jesus?

Fleur-de-lis 04-08-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed Papist (Post 868780)
Wasn't me who brought pagans into it. Why sully God's calendar which started with Jesus?

"God's calendar" (aka the solar calendar) isn't the basis for determining the date of Easter each year. The lunar calendar is. The lunar calendar was the one used by Pagans before the adoption of the solar calendar. Why can't you people simply pick a date for your holy day, and stick with it?

Redeemed Papist 04-08-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fleur-de-lis (Post 868793)
"God's calendar" (aka the solar calendar) isn't the basis for determining the date of Easter each year. The lunar calendar is. The lunar calendar was the one used by Pagans before the adoption of the solar calendar. Why can't you people simply pick a date for your holy day, and stick with it?

What has any of this got to do with what a great guy Jesus is?

Look, missy, it's about time you came clean on why you are here and introduced yourself. You seem to just be here to flap your gums and convince us that your thoughts are really special and better than God's.

Rachael Van Helsing 04-09-2012 04:23 AM

Ah, it's been a long time and you guys still haven't changed at all!! Of course, what could I expect.

But, you do know Fleur is right. The fact the 'easter' is made to coincide with the solstice date is pretty much taken from the pagan calendars.

So....considering that christians stole it in the first place, why complain if someone else wants to jump on the bandwagon?

Pastor Ezekiel 04-09-2012 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachael Van Helsing (Post 868960)
Ah, it's been a long time and you guys still haven't changed at all!! Of course, what could I expect.

But, you do know Fleur is right. The fact the 'easter' is made to coincide with the solstice date is pretty much taken from the pagan calendars.

So....considering that christians stole it in the first place, why complain if someone else wants to jump on the bandwagon?

Filthy witch! I thought Pastor Al banned you years ago! :rtfm:

Cristianity is based n two holidays: Christmas and Easter. Everyone knows that! So shut your whore mouth! :threaten:

Rev. M. Rodimer 04-09-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachael Van Helsing (Post 868960)

Ack! It's van Hellthing!

What's next, the return of Old Iron Crotch? :angry:

Obviously, if Easter were to coincide with the solstice it would be, oh, ON THE SOLSTICE, which is on or very close to March 21 every year! :dunce:

I have to wonder . . . does being a Wictard make you stupid, or are you a Wictard because you're stupid?

Just curious about the whole cause-and-effect thing there. Any information you can peck out with the two fingers you use to type would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Rachael Van Helsing 04-09-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Ezekiel (Post 868962)
Filthy witch! I thought Pastor Al banned you years ago! :rtfm:

And yet, here I am. :)

Quote:

Cristianity is based n two holidays: Christmas and Easter. Everyone knows that! So shut your whore mouth! :threaten:
You mean the solstice and the equinox originally celebrated by the pagans and used to make it easier to convert?

Funny that the birth of Jesus (again, I don't believe the bible Jesus existed but I'm going off someone else's religion here) was acknowledged to be in, I believe, September-Obctober or thereabouts; however that wouldn't have worked well to convert the pagans, would it? They already had their time of celebration established, so why not do the easy thing and let them keep their celebration and simply add a different name?

Those in power at the time correctly deduced that it'd be a lot easier than banning the pagan times of celebration altogether and inspiring a resistance.

Clever SOB's.

Didymus Much 04-09-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachael Van Helsing (Post 868972)
...Funny that the birth of Jesus (again, I don't believe the bible Jesus existed but I'm going off someone else's religion here) was acknowledged to be in, I believe, September-Obctober or thereabouts; however that wouldn't have worked well to convert the pagans, would it? They already had their time of celebration established, so why not do the easy thing and let them keep their celebration and simply add a different name?...

Added to the fact that an autumn celebration would interfere with the harvest in Europe where they were trying to expand to at the time.

Quote:

...Cynical SOB's.
FTFY. :thumbsup:

Rachael Van Helsing 04-09-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 868981)
Added to the fact that an autumn celebration would interfere with the harvest in Europe where they were trying to expand to at the time.

Indeed.

Good to see some more intelligent heathens on these boards!! Maybe enough of us, and we can help these people start to see the light!! :D

Quote:

FTFY. :thumbsup:
Hmm, that does work. Thanks buddy. :)

Rev. M. Rodimer 04-09-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev. M. Rodimer (Post 868971)
Obviously, if Easter were to coincide with the solstice it would be, oh, ON THE SOLSTICE, which is on or very close to March 21 every year! :dunce:

. . . by which I quite obviously meant "equinox". :blush:

Catherine Moore 04-09-2012 11:24 AM

It's funny, I always though the date of Easter was taken from Passover. Because, y'know, Jesus was in Jerusalem to celebrate Passover when he temporarily died for us.

It seems to me that would make a lot more sense than imagining a major pagan festival at the Spring equinox for which there is, y'know, no evidence. And then, as the Reverand so rightly says, choosing to move it around a roughly two month period instead of having it on the equinox.

Why must wiccans try to pretend everything comes from some pagan religion? It's very odd.

Thinks Design 04-09-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachael Van Helsing (Post 868986)
Good to see some more intelligent heathens on these boards!! Maybe enough of us, and we can help these people start to see the light!! :D

It would not seem likely.

These people follow nothing but their Bible to the letter.

How Christian is that?

ThinksDesign

Redeemed Papist 04-09-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachael Van Helsing (Post 868986)
Indeed.

Good to see some more
intelligent heathens on these boards!! Maybe enough of us, and we can help these people start to see the light!! :D

Oxymoron much?

Pastor Ezekiel 03-21-2015 04:19 AM

Filthy bastards! :threaten:

Pastor Isaac Peters 03-21-2015 01:34 PM

Why do they make such a big deal over an obese Chinaman who couldn't even tie his bathrobe shut? The Buddha may not even have ever lived, and even if he did, scholars cannot agree on the details of his life or the years of his birth and death. As Buddhism has developed, followers have added conflicting stories of his life and conflicting interpretations of his teachings. Most importantly, the "four noble truths" of Buddhism are based on metaphysical woo that is completely unfalsifiable. Of course, we True Christians™ will have none of such nonsense.