The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Favorite Bible Verses (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Why do good things happen to bad people? (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=62669)

Sally Paulson 04-05-2011 01:31 PM

Why do good things happen to bad people?

Numbers 32:23 tells us why bad things happen to "good" people - these "good" people all comitted some sin, or at least somebody in their nation did, within the last few centuries. I don't care if it's a baby having impure thoughts in the womb, sin is sin and it makes God FURIOUS.

The part my little lady brain is struggling to understand is why good things happen to bad people. I'm sorry, I try to read the Bible regularly, but any book that doesn't have mouth-watering pictures with the recipes just seems unladylike to me. Also I get sleepy.

Anyway, out of 100 babies to be conceived, on average God kills about 75 of them in the womb, and that's before the abortionists get their clotheshangers into them. Yet look at the world's most murderous people, and how they died:

Ghengis Khan: Pneumonia, age 65 (very old by medieval standards)
Joseph Stalin: Stroke, age 74
Mao Zedong: Old age, age 82
Adolf Hitler: Instant death via gunshot to head: age 56
Emperor Hirohito (of WW2 Japan): Cancer: aged 87
Pol Pot: heart failure, age 73

All except Hirohito survived a huge amount of attempts on their lives, both on battlefields and from assassins.

https://28oa9i1t08037ue3m1l0i861-wpe...e2-600x598.png

What's going on? I have a few ideas, but I have no idea if there is scripture to back them up:
  • Are they actually good guys who have been smeared by the Liberal Media?
  • Is this proof of Satan's power?
  • Is God working to make the horrors of hellfire all the more painful after a lifetime of relative comfort?
  • Did God find them useful instruments (the people who got murdered had it coming?)
  • Is hell worse when you're old?
  • Maybe God saw their unique talents and waited for them to convert to Christianity?
  • God wanted to kill them but was too busy killing homos - which means homos are to blame for genocide?

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 04-05-2011 03:53 PM

Re: Why do good things happen to bad people?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sally Paulson (Post 725807)
Did God find them useful instruments

I'd say most of the time it's this. God works in Mysterious Ways, and it's futile for us to speculate on His Divine Plan, unless He's killing people in New York City, in which case it's pretty obvious.

Bobby-Joe 04-05-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Are they actually good guys who have been smeared by the Liberal Media?
Is this proof of Satan's power?

I am for these two myself. As it's been pointed out how bad was Hitler has been greatly over exaggerated. Certainly, there were excesses in Nazi Germany, but what successful government hasn't had its moments of over reach?

One just has to look at the life of Pope John Paul II for an example of Satan's power.

handmaiden 04-05-2011 07:19 PM

Why do good things happen to bad people?

Duh! They don't.

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose." Romans 8:28

Clearly, if you love God, then everything that happens will turn out to be good. If you don't love God, then whatever you experience or encounter will turn out to be bad--unless it directly leads you to love God, which is good. More likely, it will lead you straight to hell, which is bad.

This is all so very simple and clear--no matter how things may seem to be, the only test for its intrinsic goodness or badness is with God.

Nothing that happens in this life has any meaning anyway. It's all just a sorting exercise for the Holy Spirit. You're born onto this earth so that you can either get saved and spend your real eternal life praising Jesus without bathroom breaks, or so that you can be sent to hell and suffer, horrible, unspeakable levels of pain and agony forever and ever and ever and ever--again, for the glory of God.

Simplistically Yours,

Handmaiden

Pastor William Nathaniel Sampson 04-05-2011 08:17 PM

They might have prospered in this life, but Oh how Satan is roasting them in hell. I can practically hear their screams!

:sinner: :haha:

Psalm 77:1-18 1Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart.
2But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped.
3For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

8They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily.
9They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.
10Therefore his people return hither: and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them.
11And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High?
12Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.

13Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency.
14For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning.
15If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children.
16When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;
17Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.
18Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction.
19How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.
20As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image.

Ezekiel Bathfire 04-07-2011 01:44 PM

It is plain that God gave us eyes to see, ears to hear and tongues to tell of His Wonders. He provides these Wonders in our daily lives and occasionally goes so far as to create a miracle for us that we may see it with our eyes, hear it (if it is that voice in the head) with our ears and then tell others by use of our tongues.
I hear you say, “What is Bathfire burbling about? Has he posted in the wrong thread again?”
“Well!” I reply, “Just listen a moment will you! Here am I trying to answer a question and all I get are interruptions!”
Now, where was I? Oh yes, miracles. There are many famous miracles, Loaves and Fishes, dead recovering, blind hearing, limbs regrown, etc., but a lot of false Christians just stop at the “Obamacare” health package we need to open our minds and our hearts to yet another category of miracle – THE MIRACLE OF MYSTERIES!!!!!

We know that God wants us to spread the Word and gathering the sheaves of souls to His Barn, yet, amongst the godless (atheists, catholics, hindus, etc) there may be resistance. They come up with smart-ass questions, traps laid by Satan, questions that leave one momentarily groping for an answer, just like the question, “Why do good things happen to bad people?”

Yet has not God given us the answer that serves in ALL these cases? Just tell them, "It is a MYSTERY! And a mystery is a MIRACLE!" If it is a miracle, only God could have done it, and we mere mortals have absolutely no idea why or how! Thus we can confidently say to those atheists, catholics, hindus, etc,

“There is a God, He has Mysteries and Miracles and you should get yourself straight with Him!” :thumbsup:

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 04-29-2011 01:47 PM

Also, remember that God hurts us because he is lovingly testing our faith (with pain*). Since bad people have no faith to test, God doesn't lovingly hurt them.

* God may be all-knowing, but the only way to REALLY be certain about someone's faith is to hurt them. That's why swearing on a Bible in court just isn't good enough. Bring back trial by fire!

Sally Paulson 05-05-2011 12:42 AM

I guess God noticed I'm on to Him, and decided to pick up the pace. Now we have:

Usama Bin Laden: Instant death via gunshot to head: age 54

He may not have killed millions, but he embarrassed America for 10 years and that's just as bad. Interesting how he died at almost the same age (off by 2 years), almost the same day(off by 2 days), and almost the same way (2X more bullets) as Hitler.

I wonder if this is God's way of saying that ordering evil things to happen is not as bad as the people who are "just following orders", and carry the orders out? Because all of the above evil people had many, many followers die young in brutal ways.

Brother Oskar 05-07-2011 07:56 AM

When they die, Satan will roast them in Hell, so BAD things will happen to bad people in the end :lex_12:

Sweetgirl_dca15 06-14-2011 02:32 PM

I´d say that´s because if you´re doing the right thing, following God´s demands and being faithfull to HIM, then the enemy tries to get you, to hunt you down.

So, if everything is too soft and well in your life watch out, you might be in the wrong damned way!

God wants us to be strong, He tests us! We should be thankfull for all the bad things just as much as the good ones.

YiC
Cristina

DDM1985 06-15-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Numbers 32:23 tells us why bad things happen to "good" people - these "good" people all comitted some sin, or at least somebody in their nation did, within the last few centuries. I don't care if it's a baby having impure thoughts in the womb, sin is sin and it makes God FURIOUS.

The part my little lady brain is struggling to understand is why good things happen to bad people. I'm sorry, I try to read the Bible regularly, but any book that doesn't have mouth-watering pictures with the recipes just seems unladylike to me. Also I get sleepy.

Anyway, out of 100 babies God kills about 75 of them in the womb, and that's before the abortionists get their clotheshangers into them. Yet look at the world's most murderous people, and how they died:

Emperor Hirohito (of WW2 Japan): Cancer: aged 87
Pol Pot: heart failure, age 73

All except Hirohito survived a huge amount of attempts on their lives, both on battlefields and from assassins.

What's going on? I have a few ideas, but I have no idea if there is scripture to back them up:

Are they actually good guys who have been smeared by the Liberal Media?
Is this proof of Satan's power?
Is God working to make the horrors of hellfire all the more painful after a lifetime of relative comfort?
Did God find them useful instruments (the people who got murdered had it coming?)
Is hell worse when you're old?
Maybe God saw their unique talents and waited for them to convert to Christianity?
God wanted to kill them but was too busy killing homos - which means homos are to blame for genocide?

I find Job a good place to go, to learn about suffering, why it happens, and the end result of suffering for the righteous. There are several psalms that also cover the subject, from the psalmist's perspective. Then, there's the statement by Paul about having a thorn in his flesh (2nd Corinthians 12:7-10). But, if you really want something to look forward to, after all the suffering you endure on Earth, the Revelation is one of the best books to read. Bottom line: the wicked eventually do suffer, and the righteous will receive their reward in due time.

proteastantguy 06-19-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezekiel Bathfire (Post 727197)
It is plain that God gave us eyes to see, ears to hear and tongues to tell of His Wonders. He provides these Wonders in our daily lives and occasionally goes so far as to create a miracle for us that we may see it with our eyes, hear it (if it is that voice in the head) with our ears and then tell others by use of our tongues.
I hear you say, “What is Bathfire burbling about? Has he posted in the wrong thread again?”
“Well!” I reply, “Just listen a moment will you! Here am I trying to answer a question and all I get are interruptions!”
Now, where was I? Oh yes, miracles. There are many famous miracles, Loaves and Fishes, dead recovering, blind hearing, limbs regrown, etc., but a lot of false Christians just stop at the “Obamacare” health package we need to open our minds and our hearts to yet another category of miracle – THE MIRACLE OF MYSTERIES!!!!!

We know that God wants us to spread the Word and gathering the sheaves of souls to His Barn, yet, amongst the godless (atheists, catholics, hindus, etc) there may be resistance. They come up with smart-ass questions, traps laid by Satan, questions that leave one momentarily groping for an answer, just like the question, “Why do good things happen to bad people?”

Yet has not God given us the answer that serves in ALL these cases? Just tell them, "It is a MYSTERY! And a mystery is a MIRACLE!" If it is a miracle, only God could have done it, and we mere mortals have absolutely no idea why or how! Thus we can confidently say to those atheists, catholics, hindus, etc,

“There is a God, He has Mysteries and Miracles and you should get yourself straight with Him!” :thumbsup:

God thank you for saying this. I couldn't agree more. You are so right about what you say.

Dan U. Holier 07-27-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

...Yet look at the world's most murderous people, and how they died:

/snip/

Oh yeah? What about all the good things they did?

"Judge not, that ye be not judged" (KJV, Matthew 7:1)

Artiewhitefox 07-31-2011 07:45 PM

Evil that the devil has already done is in the body that dies, and all things in this universe. What a person does equally bad hating wishing ill will not being like Jesus allows the devil to kill the soul too. We must remember that. We are in this world with bad occuring because we chose bad to occur. Good,and bad happens to good, and bad alike. Look at Job He was good, and to onlookers it looked like bad was being done to him. Those onlookers did not know the whole story. We may see the reverse, but we do not know the whiole story because like Job we will not know what is happening behind the scenes like the onlookers criticizing Job giving him a hard time.

Cranky Old Man 08-01-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artiewhitefox (Post 779762)
Evil that the devil has already done is in the body that dies, and all things in this universe. What a person does equally bad hating wishing ill will not being like Jesus allows the devil to kill the soul too. We must remember that.

Where did you get this nonsense? From a milk carton or from a Pokemon game?

Friedmann K. 12-05-2011 12:49 AM

The fact that most of those monsters survived to die at an old age indicates only one thing: They were designed for this world, not for His world.

A Follower 12-05-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friedmann K. (Post 821285)
The fact that most of those monsters survived to die at an old age indicates only one thing: They were designed for this world, not for His world.

No, it shows no matter how bad the sin, Jesus can and will forgive you, if you will just ask Him. Friedmann, even you can be forgiven, despite the evil you have wrought, Jesus has suffered for you too, please let it not have been in vain!

Good Christian Woman 03-09-2012 01:16 AM

It's probably Satan. But it could also be that one of their ancestors (up to 1,000 generations back) did something good. Deuteronomy 7:9

Driveler 05-27-2012 08:54 PM

Well as long as your on Earth God can punish you directly while if you go to Hell the job gets relegated to Satan,so bye keeping bad people alive longer God gets to make them suffer more.

Didymus Much 05-27-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driveler (Post 890117)
Well as long as your on Earth God can punish you directly while if you go to Hell the job gets relegated to Satan,...

Wrong. If you'd read your Bible (instead if trying to tell people who have studied it for a long time what's in it), you'd find that Satan will be there getting punished BY GOD right along side all the sinners (by sinners, I mean the people who have not accepted Christ's unconditional love and obeyed God's commandments to the letter, there are only 630 or so described with varying degrees of ambiguity in the Bible, how hard could that be?).