The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Christian history forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   When did Europeans decide they all wanted Muslim immigration? (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=94764)

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 11-30-2013 02:32 AM

When did Europeans decide they all wanted Muslim immigration?

I'm looking for Europeans who can help me out with a bit of European history.

You see, I've been trying to read about the Great European Immigration Debate, where Europeans had a respectful debate, with all viewpoints welcome, and they came to a never-again challenged consensus that Muslims are their favorite people in the world and best possible immigrants.

I assume this debate would have come after the one where they decided that the laws of supply and demand are backwards - ie if you glut a market with a commodity, that commodity becomes more expensive. That's the logic behind immigration after all, that if you want higher wages, you glut the market with unskilled people who are desperate for any work at any wage.

I have to assume, because I've been looking all over and I just can't figure out the details of when and how this debate happened. I tried to find pictures of the crowds of demonstrators protesting the dire 1960's muslim-shortage. I couldn't.

I tried to find the slogans, the pictures of bumper stickers on those volkswagens: "There's no backlash where there's burkas" "I'd felofel without Muslims" "Sharia and sharia alike!" "Allah is gooden ja?"

I tried to find the rival bids from non-Muslim immigrant populations (Latin Americans pointing out that Spanish and Portuguese speaking Catholics have already existed in Europe, Chinese pointing out that they're the only people as secularized as Europeans, not to mention the only other people in the world willing to eat stuff like Haggis, etc.)

I'm also curious about the re-evaluations, where people said "Boy, good thing we didn't follow a low-immigration strategy like Japan, that place sure is a hell on Earth".

It's like there's a big blank spot between Normal 1960's Europe, and then suddenly 99% of Europeans want more Muslims to immigrate, and the other 1% all have swastikas tattooed on their skulls.

That's a pretty dramatic turning point of history, and I'd like to hear about it.

Ex-soccer player 11-30-2013 03:54 AM

Re: When did Europeans decide they all wanted Muslim immigration?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeb Stuart Thurmond (Post 1044539)
You see, I've been trying to read about the Great European Immigration Debate, where Europeans had a respectful debate, with all viewpoints welcome, and they came to a never-again challenged consensus that Muslims are their favorite people in the world and best possible immigrants.

I can only talk for Godless Germany: Nobody decided that Muslims would be the best possible immigrants. The economy just needed manpower in the 1950/60th so they started to recruit men from poorer states - Italy, Spain, Greek, but also from Turkey and northern Africa. At first it was intended that the foreign workers should return to their countries after some years but a lot of them stayed here and had their families follow them. They were the first muslim immigrants. They were not expected to stay, but this happened over time. When unemployment raised later on, it was too late to send them home.

At a later date (80th until now) a lot of Muslims immigrated as asylum seekers. Nobody really needed or wanted them, but they just came and many of them managed to stay.

Quote:

That's the logic behind immigration after all, that if you want higher wages, you glut the market with unskilled people who are desperate for any work at any wage.

Sure. Job creators want the wages to be as high as possible.

Quote:

I have to assume, because I've been looking all over and I just can't figure out the details of when and how this debate happened. I tried to find pictures of the crowds of demonstrators protesting the dire 1960's muslim-shortage. I couldn't.

I tried to find the slogans, the pictures of bumper stickers on those volkswagens: "There's no backlash where there's burkas" "I'd felofel without Muslims" "Sharia and sharia alike!" "Allah is gooden ja?"

These stickers did not exist. I don't think the religios aspect was so dominant in that time. It was not the time of political islam, this came later on, maybe when Khomeini took over power in Iran. I think Muslims were just regarded as backward people and cheap workers.

Jeb Stuart Thurmond 11-30-2013 05:58 AM

Re: When did Europeans decide they all wanted Muslim immigration?

There is a saying that the British Empire was acquired in an a fit of absent-mindedness, but I thought that was just British humor.

Yet now we're a few decades away from "Oops, Europe is an Islamic Caliphate now. Clumsy me."

Or, at the very least, "Oops, clumsy me, I've accidentally used a divide and rule strategy on my workforce, giving them low wages, and a precedent for censorship (first they came for the anti-immigration voters and I didn't speak up...)"

You don't have to believe in conspiracy theories to notice how rulers will move heaven and earth to solve some problems, but as for the problems that benefit them....They just aren't feeling inspired at the moment.

Heck, I'm thinking I would open a branch office in Europe, if I didn't already have one in Saudi Arabia.

I'm not going to miss Europe. All the best parts have already been copied in Disneyland, and Las Vegas.