The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Easter is About Jesus - Period! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Spartacus, Easter & the wrath of God (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=61789)

barton 03-21-2011 02:36 AM

Spartacus, Easter & the wrath of God

Greetings Brethren!

Spartacus was a recent TV series carried on Starz, a premium cable channel in the US. I really hope very, very few of you are familiar with it. It was nothing more than a shallow excuse to portray graphic gay sex, male nudity and horrible acting. Last year, I had the misfortune to see a few minutes of this program. I was researching Roman History at the time and was lured in by the name "Spartacus".

The Starz series has already been smote once by God. PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME! God gave the main actor, Andy Whitfield, a well-deserved case of lymphoma forcing him to leave the show. I'd have thought this would be pretty clear signal to the producers that their show crossed the line. However, instead of just wrapping it all up, they forged ahead with a six episode prequel, to keep the filthy lucre flowing in and give them breathing room to find another degenerate slime ball to take up portraying Spartacus for season two. Seems like they have found such a person in Liam McIntyre, an unknown bottom-feeding Aussie poofter. I am praying that God steps in quickly again.

Anyway, my original research was on the topic of crucifixion in ancient Rome and the real story of Spartacus is very relevant. As with many other civil wars and rebellions, the spectacle of crucifixion was quite common. For example, following the defeat of Spartacus in 71AD, General Crassus had 6,000 of the recaptured slaves crucified, all in a line from Capua to Rome. There are many stories of Roman soldiers crucifying animals for sport, even.

So... if crucifixion was not uncommon, why do we Christians fixate on it so much? If so many thousands of other people died on their own crosses, what is so special about our Savior's death on His Holy Cross? Doesn't his torture and death almost seem ho-hum? Moreover, up to that point in time, many millions of other people had also died gruesome deaths, far worse than anything our Savior experienced physically. For example, the brazen bull was quite popular in Greece.
http://www.perillos.com/brazenbull_1.jpg

So what's the big deal with one particular guy on a cross?

The big deal, the heart of the Easter message, is that everyone else deserved what they got. As it is written in Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin [is] death". However, Jesus was sinless, the perfect sacrifice.
Hebrews 4:14-15 "Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast [our] profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin."
I don't care what happened to anyone else! It doesn't matter! We could round up everyone in the world and crucify them all at once and it would still pale in comparison to what happened to our Lord Jesus.

Happy Easter everyone!

WWJDnow 03-21-2011 09:10 PM

Re: Spartacus, Easter & the wrath of God

I watched the whole Spartacus story several times in slow motion to be sure I cataloged every single instance of homoism and other sins. I was going to post a list so everyone could see exactly how horrible this series was, but it's just too ungodly to post here on the Lord's Chosen Forums®.

FWIW, the scripts and acting left a lot to be desired, too.

The only positive thing I can say about the series is that at least it wasn't squeamish about slavery. God approved of slavery, having himself several times sold the Hebrews to the Philisitines, and Jesus made it clear that He was still on board with the New Covenant. I don't see why a good Christian practice has become something that everyone is afraid to discuss. Master and slave is the way God intended us to live.

True Disciple 03-21-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barton (Post 715671)
So what's the big deal with one particular guy on a cross?

The big deal, the heart of the Easter message, is that everyone else deserved what they got. As it is written in Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin [is] death". However, Jesus was sinless, the perfect sacrifice.
Hebrews 4:14-15 "Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast [our] profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin."
I don't care what happened to anyone else! It doesn't matter! We could round up everyone in the world and crucify them all at once and it would still pale in comparison to what happened to our Lord Jesus.

Happy Easter everyone!

Amen, Brother. We must not forget that the special thing about the Lord's crucifixion was the fact that He was without sin.:jesus:

After all, did Jesus ever horribly insult people, drink lots of wine, disobey and renounce his parents, threaten people with violence, discriminate people because they weren't jews, break the Sabbath, or lie about anything?

Exactly, He was sinless. Praise His Glorious Name!:thumbsup:

Neighborly Nick 04-18-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barton (Post 715671)

The Starz series has already been smote once by God. PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME! God gave the main actor, Andy Whitfield, a well-deserved case of lymphoma forcing him to leave the show.

Praise God, this is a sign to all the vile atheists and "scientists" who try to disprove and refute our lord. Let is serve as a warning to all!

Just Julian 04-19-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neighborly Nick (Post 735281)
Praise God, this is a sign to all the vile atheists and "scientists" who try to disprove and refute our lord. Let is serve as a warning to all!

A warning and a lesson. If only they could learn again the ways of God and leave their horrible blaspheming jobs as so called "scientists", then we could all together praise God and even take up some of the old ways again, such as slavery.

Rev. Q 04-23-2011 05:47 AM

The first warning sign I noticed to steer clear of that show was Lucy Lawless' name. Just look at this godless lesbian (redundant?), dressed like she's got a date with Ol' Scratch himself...
http://amygrindhouse.com/wp-content/...-4-400x375.jpg

Spartacus!!! 04-19-2012 07:21 PM

If you cannot handle the show then get rid of cable. If God did not want the show to exist, dont you think the show would have been kept from being continued? It seems to me, that most of you are hinting that the program has been able to overcome the power of God. Is that what you believe? :wacko:

Didymus Much 04-19-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus!!! (Post 873748)
If you cannot handle the show then get rid of cable. If God did not want the show to exist, dont you think the show would have been kept from being continued? It seems to me, that most of you are hinting that the program has been able to overcome the power of God. Is that what you believe? :wacko:

By extending your thinking, then nothing that (you think, because you haven't read the Bible, or didn't understand what you read) "God does not want to exist" would exist at all, nobody would be able to do anything that (your extremely incorrect view of) God wants us to do, and we would all go to Heaven.

Why would He have created Hell at all? No one would be there. Do you think God is stupid or wastes His infinite resources? :wacko:

Read your Bible (again if necessary). See God as He is, not as you want Him to be.

Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

Does that sound like a God who "loves everyone" or "will forgive everything"?

Bobby-Joe 04-19-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartacus!!! (Post 873748)

We're do you get that? We're just disgusted by the endless homoerotic scenes of muscled, well oiled men in tight leather wrestling each other in that series. Just because it has godly concepts like social freeloaders being enrolled in right to work programs like gladiator slaves doesn't make it suitable viewing for Christians.