The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Favorite Bible Verses (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Matthew 10:34 (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=106108)

SoldierofChrist 06-17-2015 04:15 PM

Matthew 10:34

My favorite verse is Matthew 10:34. In the King James Version it reads "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

I use this verse as a reminder to stay strong when others try to steer me off the path to the savior. After all, what should their opinions matter if you aren't here for peace?

Brothers and sisters, how could you apply this verse to your daily lives?

Blessings upon all of you:innocent:

Wuhchulookinat? 06-22-2015 05:39 PM

Re: Matthew 10:34

Hi, this is one of my favorite Bible passages also.

Obviously, Jesus did not go around with a literal army, or carry any literal swords. Rather, Jesus preached to love thy neighbor. But in Matthew 10:34 Jesus is warning his followers that his does not simply mean peace. When someone speaks the truth, anyone, the effect can be more violent than any sword or gun.

Dr Laurence Niles 06-22-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoldierofChrist (Post 1148833)

It reminds me that Leviticus (with all of it's sound advice and wisdom) is still a meaningful work, alive and well in the world, today and that Jesus is the Man to make it happen. Glory!

YIC

Ezekiel Bathfire 06-22-2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

My favorite verse is Matthew 10:34. In the King James Version it reads "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."

I use this verse as a reminder to stay strong when others try to steer me off the path to the savior. After all, what should their opinions matter if you aren't here for peace?

Too few so called 'Christians' fail to see that, as per Revelations, the final stages of this Earth will flow with the blood of the unfaithful and a third f mankind falls to Jesus's sword.

Quote:

It is the verse that justifies any treatment of the heretic, as long as what is done is done to save his soul.

Occasionally, we see it used to convert whole populations, or indeed provide shining examples of the Faithful in the guise of martyrs.

It speaks to me of the True Christian's separation from an evil, hell-bound and godless society and the reality he sees about him, so that he may not suffer Satan-induced embarrassment in doing the Lord's work.

SoldierofChrist 06-22-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezekiel Bathfire (Post 1149306)
It is the verse that justifies any treatment of the heretic, as long as what is done is done to save his soul.

It speaks to me of the True Christian's separation from an evil, hell-bound and godless society and the reality he sees about him, so that he may not suffer Satan-induced embarrassment in doing the Lord's work.

Praise be to that sweet assurance brother! God will bless the persecuted

1 Peter 4:16 (KJV)
Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Basilissa 06-22-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Blessings upon all of you:innocent:

This is a fine verse, indeed. While Jesus also told us to obey secular laws of the country we live in (e.g., Titus 3:1), this verse clearly justifies us to kill Muslims and other heathens in ways which our government approve. Currently, the best method of applying this verse is killing Muslims with drones - they allow to kill an entire village in which one terrorist is supposed to be hiding. :thumbsup: God Bless America and support our troops!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuhchulookinat? (Post 1149291)

Obviously, Jesus did not go around with a literal army, or carry any literal swords. Rather, Jesus preached to love thy neighbor. But in Matthew 10:34 Jesus is warning his followers that his does not simply mean peace. When someone speaks the truth, anyone, the effect can be more violent than any sword or gun.

No, this is not what Jesus says. He says that He is the one causing the war and killing and violence in general.

You need to be doing more reading and less interpreting (2 Peter 1:20), sweetie. :nono:

Wuhchulookinat? 06-23-2015 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1149323)
No, this is not what Jesus says. He says that He is the one causing the war and killing and violence in general.

You need to be doing more reading and less interpreting (2 Peter 1:20), sweetie. :nono:

Oh, that's what I thought that He meant. But how did He cause war and violence without directly killing anybody? Or maybe He did... I don't know.

Pastor Ezekiel 06-23-2015 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuhchulookinat? (Post 1149291)

When Jesus talks about our neighbors, He is speaking about our fellow Christians. Not witches, atheists, fags or joos.

Have you ever actually read the Holy Bible?

Basilissa 06-23-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wuhchulookinat? (Post 1149338)
Oh, that's what I thought that He meant. But how did He cause war and violence without directly killing anybody? Or maybe He did... I don't know.

Well, He seems to be OK with all of the genocide committed in His name, right? Because otherwise He would not allow His followers to rape, enslave, and murder millions of people (all in His name) all around the world during the last 1700 years (give or take), right?

humbleconvert 11-15-2015 05:07 PM

I understand it to mean that God did not come to give us peace but rather gave us truth. The truth unfortunately irritates the unbeliever and they tend to persecute or bully Christians. Stay strong! The word "persecute*" is used 28 times in the new testament alone. So serve Jesus and be exceedingly glad when tribulations come your way.

Elmer G. White 11-15-2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humbleconvert (Post 1166624)
I understand it to mean that God did not come to give us peace but rather gave us truth. The truth unfortunately irritates the unbeliever and they tend to persecute or bully Christians. Stay strong! The word "persecute*" is used 28 times in the new testament alone. So serve Jesus and be exceedingly glad when tribulations come your way.

How well said, Dear Newcomer! Jesus must have invited you to join His Favorite Discussion Board!

We would like to know you better, so make an Introduction of yourself, your Church, your favorite verses and your path to Jesus HERE according to THESE instructions.

Exodus 12:49
One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Yours in Christ,

Elmer :bye: