The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   PRAYER REQUESTS (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Please Pray For Christian Bus Drivers (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=94215)

Pastor Ezekiel 11-07-2013 05:43 AM

Please Pray For Christian Bus Drivers

Brothers and sisters in Christ, we need to spend some time on our knees asking Jesus to protect Godly bus drivers like THIS before they are all persecuted for leading children in Prayer on the bus. :thumbdown:

Quote:

Bus Driver Fired After Forcing Prayer on Students

A school bus driver in Minnesota was fired last week after leading kids in Christian prayers while driving. George Nathaniel, 49, a bus driver for the Burnsville School District had already been reassigned and given a warning due to his repeated praying, but that didn’t stop him from continuing to exercise what he believes is his “freedom of speech.”

Nathaniel, also a pastor for two Minneapolis churches, argues that firing him “for praying for the safety of the children” isn’t right. Here’s exactly what he would do with his captive audience of elementary and junior high school children:

Nathaniel prayed during the seven-minute ride to school after the last child got on board.

“We start out with a song,” he said. “Then each person will pray if they want to pray. If they don’t want to pray, they don’t have to pray. Then I will pray and ask them if they want to join me in prayer. Just give them something constructive and positive to go to school with.”

What drove Nathaniel to keep doing this, even after receiving a warning? “We got to get Christians to be able to be Christians and not have to be closet Christians,” he said. “You have something good, you are going to share it with somebody.”

Shockingly this behavior did not go over well with parents in the district, especially considering some of the district’s bus routes serve primarily Muslim families.

But Nathaniel continues to defend his preaching even after losing his job. He argues that when he drove buses in Wisconsin and Georgia, no one ever complained about his behavior. He also insists that no parents have "personally" complained to him. Air tight arguments, case closed, the end.

He's now looking for "other clergy" to help him fight for the right to pray on school buses.
You can bet I'll be helping him. Prayer Warriors: Assume the position! :pray:

WilliamJenningsBryan 11-07-2013 07:58 AM

Re: Please Pray For Christian Bus Drivers

Quote:

Shockingly this behavior did not go over well with parents in the district, especially considering some of the district’s bus routes serve primarily Muslim families.
Well there you have it, once again it's the mooselimbs. In ordinary times a man inspired by the Holy Spirit protecting children on a bus ride to school would be honored by the community.

I suppose if he had parked the bus facing Mecca and "prayed" to some false moon god no one would have complained.

Basilissa 11-08-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Ezekiel (Post 1039520)
“We start out with a song,” he said. “Then each person will pray if they want to pray. If they don’t want to pray, they don’t have to pray. Then I will pray and ask them if they want to join me in prayer. Just give them something constructive and positive to go to school with.”

It's terrible how Christians are persecuted these days. This poor True Christian™ guy just tried his best to save these kids from eternal damnation. He wasn't "forcing" anybody to pray, anyway!

Jesus did not die for these ungrateful little bastards and their parents who were opposed to the prayers!
:jesus:

winstonthewhiner 11-08-2013 08:10 PM

I don't understand this kind of behavior. He got a warning once, telling him to stop preaching on the school bus. He continued nevertheless. Then he was laid off. Everything is in accordance with law.

He may well continue to preach in his church, which is the right place for worshipping whatever deity you believe in. There is no reason to make a fuss about this.

John Creeser 11-08-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonsmith (Post 1039942)
I don't understand this kind of behavior. He got a warning once, telling him to stop preaching on the school bus. He continued nevertheless. Then he was laid off. Everything is in accordance with law.

He may well continue to preach in his church, which is the right place for worshipping whatever deity you believe in. There is no reason to make a fuss about this.

No reason to make a fuss? He's only trying to save the souls of those children you heartless heathen:angry: And while we're at it, let's just look at "the law"....as outlined in the King James version of the Bible;

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

II Timothy 4:2-5
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

He is following the law!:angry:

Johny Joe Hold 11-08-2013 09:58 PM

This is a freedom of speech issue.

Teachers have the right to convert their students, jailers their inmates and bosses their employees. More than that, the Bible tells us it's an obligation to spread the Word. God does not make exceptions, does not make little rules prohibiting this, like when the powerful convert those in vulnerable positions.

Where better to evagelize than when there are children who cannot escape until the bus gets to its location. This bus driver was using common sense.

Godfly 11-08-2013 11:15 PM

If he had forced the children to sodomize each other they would have given him a raise.

Alvin Moss 11-08-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonsmith (Post 1039942)

Apart from being Hell bound, you are just plain wrong.

Christians are bound by our devotion to the One God to spread the good news, which is that Jesus died for your sins. All you have to do is accept Him and you will live forever. If this brave bus driving Pastor didn't try to save those poor Muslim children from Hell, who would?

You also have the same choice that every other man has. You can accept Jesus and live in Heaven forever and ever, or you can reject His love and burn in the Lake of Fire that knows no quenching.

For me, it's an easy choice.

Mistress Cookie 11-09-2013 12:26 AM

This is pure ridiculousness.

He uses his hands for driving the bus. What the rest of his body, like his mouth, is doing during that time is no one's business!

Where's the Keep Your Government Out of My Body crowd now??

Daisy Mae Johnson 11-09-2013 04:39 AM

Better fasten your seatbelt because without :jesus-fancy: it's going to be a bumpy ride!

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/o..._bus_crash.gif

winstonthewhiner 11-09-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Creeser (Post 1039944)
And while we're at it, let's just look at "the law"....as outlined in the King James version of the Bible;

You don't get it. The law of the USA is a secular law. You may like it or not, that is the way it is. Whatever you regard as divine law may govern your daily life, but if it conflicts with secular law, the latter one will be uphold by governmental institutions. The first amendment guarantees freefom of believe. Yet if you look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom..._United_States

Quote:

For example, in the 19th century, some of the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints traditionally practiced polygamy, yet in Reynolds v. United States (1879), the Supreme Court upheld the criminal conviction of one of these members under a federal law banning polygamy. The Court reasoned that to do otherwise would set precedent for a full range of religious beliefs including those as extreme as human sacrifice. The Court stated that "Laws are made for the government of actions, and while they cannot interfere with mere religious belief and opinions, they may with practices."
I am given to understand that in the bible Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son (even though he was stopped by god, according to the bible). There is a reason why some religious practices are forbidden. Like converting school children.

It is up to the parents (not busdrivers) to raise their offspring, and since freedom of belief is guaranteed in your constitution, like it or not, that does not mean they have to be brought up in a christian way. They may bring them up however they see fit. In my opinion, children shoudln't even be raised religiously, but rather choose one of their own (or not) when they are old and mature enough to make their own decisions.

Anyway, I brought up that you the government made some restrictions. Now you may ask: Why should I follow secular law? There are two arguments for that.
1) You think it is the right thing to do. There might be a passage in the holy bible telling you to oblige the ruler, I don't know.
2) They've got bigger guns. It's the same with christians and hell. If you think somebody is not doing what you want, you threaten them with eternal torment. Government institutions will threaten you will financial penalties or losing your freedom if you don't abide. If you resist it's enforcers, the police, the army, whoever, you will be shot. It's basically the same thing.

Luckily, you people live in a democracy where the law rules. If the pastor thinks his right to freedom of speech was violated, he may well sue his employer. He may present his case in court and a jury of everyday people will decide upon it.

Pim Pendergast 11-09-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonsmith (Post 1040062)
You don't get it. The law of the USA is a secular law.

Well, I don't live in the USA, but all the Christian literature I read tells me its constitution and laws are based on the Bible.

Quote:

I am given to understand that in the bible Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son (even though he was stopped by god, according to the bible). There is a reason why some religious practices are forbidden. Like converting school children.
Just because Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son doesn't mean any Christian practices should be forbidden.

Quote:

In my opinion, children shoudln't even be raised religiously, but rather choose one of their own (or not) when they are old and mature enough to make their own decisions.
But you don't understand that to raise them up without God is to make the choice of not following God for them.

Quote:

There might be a passage in the holy bible telling you to oblige the ruler, I don't know.
There are several passages to that effect (Rom 13:1-6; Tit 3:1; Heb 13:7; 1 Pet 2:13-15). But when it comes to preaching the Gospel, "We ought to obey God rather than men" (Acts 5:29b).

Acts 5:27b-29
27b The high priest asked them,
28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Johny Joe Hold 11-10-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonsmith (Post 1040062)

In my opinion, children shoudln't even be raised religiously, but rather choose one of their own (or not) when they are old and mature enough to make their own decisions.

Friend, I'd suggest you not share this odd and peculiar idea with anyone. Children have but one reason to exist, to obey their parents. Parents who teach, even beat, Christianity into their children will find themselves in heaven for eternity.

Others, like yourself, well, sorry.

winstonthewhiner 11-10-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pim Pendergast (Post 1040065)
Well, I don't live in the USA, but all the Christian literature I read tells me its constitution and laws are based on the Bible.

You are not entirely wrong, like the part of 'rights bestowed by their creator' implies a christian influence, but look at the first amendment:

Quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Whereas

Quote:

You shall have no other gods before me.
is part of the ten commandments.

Quote:

Just because Abraham was willing to sacrifice his son doesn't mean any Christian practices should be forbidden.
Well, well, such a differentiated perspective - a rare thing here....

Quote:

But you don't understand that to raise them up without God is to make the choice of not following God for them.
They may choose to do so when they are old enough. This is a very difficult decision for me. I really want my children to have a good reason for choosing a religion besides being literally beaten to it when they were young. If they come to the conclusion that they want to convert to christianity on their own, that's worth much more than your parents inflicting pain on you when you asked some legitimate questions, don't you agree?

Didymus Much 11-10-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonsomething (Post 1040294)
...I really want my children to have a good reason for choosing a religion besides being literally beaten to it when they were young...

Sound like someone's more worried about losing his children's love than about the fates of their eternal souls.

Get ready for a whole Wall o' Scripture about why you are so very, very wrong.