The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Favorite Bible Verses (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Concerning nonbelievers (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=91303)

Artofburning 07-05-2013 05:19 AM

Concerning nonbelievers

Greetings Landover Baptist Church!

I started rereading the book of Zephaniah and stumbled upon - rather quickly actually! - the verse:

" "I will completely remove all things From the face of the Earth..." declares the Lord....
"...those who have turned back from following the Lord and those who have not sought the Lord or inquired of Him." "
Zephaniah 1:2-6

I thought it was quite refreshing reading that because it definitely reinforced the fact that God frowns upon atheists, unbelievers, and idolaters. It's also refreshing to know that those who choose to not believe in Him have a very unpleasant surprise awaiting them in the afterlife!

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you all...Thank you for your time. :thumbsup:

alex.siegel 07-10-2013 09:30 AM

Re: Concerning nonbelievers

But how do we know that God is real and that the Bible is true?

MitzaLizalor 07-10-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 420wakeandbake69 (Post 1014322)

The Bible explains that God made the world, all the animals, various other things.

"Oh, really?" declares the scoffer.
"Where are these things God supposedly made?" sneers the atheist.
"Faith is no explanation for me," parrots their secularist bedfellow. "I need evidence!"

OK, I can see that you need evidence since you have no faith, and I don't need The Bible to provide it.

Just say I claimed I'd made a gerlfjthmsuencxi. Where is it? What does it do? Have I hidden my gerlfjthmsuencxi so that no-one can see it? So that only persons of faith will accept its existence? Perhaps I say it's invisible ..but ..it is there ..really

But in reality there is no gerlfjthmsuencxi, I didn't make one at all indeed, there is no such thing.

God is not like that. Not only has the world He made NOT been hidden but it is rather obvious. By looking around, I can see those trees. The animals are actually there. At night I can see those stars He told me He'd made. That is hard evidence. What The Bible explains is born out by observation. And every detail is exactly as claimed.

Even the travail of childbirth is just as God predicted it would be and the bite of the serpent, all those years ago.

Eddie James 07-10-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitzaLizalor (Post 1014324)
The Bible explains that God made the world, all the animals, various other things.

"Oh, really?" declares the scoffer.
"Where are these things God supposedly made?" sneers the atheist.
"Faith is no explanation for me," parrots their secularist bedfellow. "I need evidence!"

OK, I can see that you need evidence since you have no faith, and I don't need The Bible to provide it.

Just say I claimed I'd made a gerlfjthmsuencxi. Where is it? What does it do? Have I hidden my gerlfjthmsuencxi so that no-one can see it? So that only persons of faith will accept its existence? Perhaps I say it's invisible ..but ..it is there ..really

But in reality there is no gerlfjthmsuencxi, I didn't make one at all indeed, there is no such thing.

God is not like that. Not only has the world He made NOT been hidden but it is rather obvious. By looking around, I can see those trees. The animals are actually there. At night I can see those stars He told me He'd made. That is hard evidence. What The Bible explains is born out by observation. And every detail is exactly as claimed.

Even the travail of childbirth is just as God predicted it would be and the bite of the serpent, all those years ago.

But God isn't real,
Reality exists through empirical evidence, we can't see god, hear him or physically touch him, therefore he isn't part of our reality. You agree when you say he's supernatural.
Ironically if he indeed could be seen or heard or interact with us, he would become part of our reality, and would be bound by the laws of science.
Any old fool can claim to be god and many do. Doesn't mean they are though.

If your saying that god created everything we see, then who created god?
It's an oxymormon to assert the necessity of creation to complex organisms and then dismiss the same for a deity, who as a creator would surly be more complex than us.

It's really very straight forward. If there really was a deity then he's unlikely to be accurately depicted and described by Iron Age illiterate shepherds, with no understanding of the natural world, more likely he is a myth, conjured by man to lesson their phobia of death or to assert order in society, and like the thousands of deities that have come and gone. I put it to you, that in just a few short years from now, Christianity will be dismissed by everyone, much in the same way Zues and Thor are now.
Separation of religion and state, is the way forward, understanding and acceptance regardless of individual positions is important and necessary for peace and tranquility. Many Christians can maintain their faith and still accept and respect the positions of others.
Why can't you?
I read a post by a "true Christian" on here, he said that certain texts in the bible shouldn't be adhered to, like giving all your money to the poor.
If you can dismiss that, then why not dismiss the homophobia and the misogyny? The fascism and the prejudice?
You seem more sadistic than religious I'm afraid

I don't believe in an afterlife, but I do believe in life before death.

Ezekiel Bathfire 07-10-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie James (Post 1014338)
I don't believe in an afterlife, but I do believe in life before death.

So, the question arises, "If you can distinguish between that which is alive, that which is dead and that which is inanimate, "What is "life""?"

God says "Life" is the spirit: the soul, if you will.

So what is this "life-force" that distinguishes us from rocks? You have no idea, yet you simply say, "I know it dies with the person."

For Goodness sakes! How can you know that?

Eddie James 07-10-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezekiel Bathfire (Post 1014342)
So, the question arises, "If you can distinguish between that which is alive, that which is dead and that which is inanimate, "What is "life""?"

So what is this "life-force" that distinguishes us from rocks? You have no idea, yet you simply say, "I know it dies with the person."

But you make the assumption life has been given to us by something other than our parents?
I don't make that assumption.
I don't know the ins and outs of the molecular structures, or how they derived into such order as to sustain an organism that feels pain, or knows of compassion. Because I'm not a biologist

But I do know if I wanted to learn the facts of how the body has organised individual inanimate atoms in such a way as to support life, I can just go on to the Internet and pull up publicly available research on the matter, all backed up with the empirical evidence needed to assert it's truth

It's all very simple really.
Atheism doesn't mean we know everything about science, but most of us know the information in readily available for all those who wish to see it and not to practice faith from hearsay

alex.siegel 07-10-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezekiel Bathfire (Post 1014342)

It's quite simple. The life force that sets us apart is called Deoxyribonucleic acid. It's a specific arrangement of molecules to essentially form what is "life." In that respect we are different than rocks. But us, as human beings, are a species of animal. We are no different than any other animal, in terms of chemical composition. We do have much higher cognitive ability, and thus can think much more intelligently than any other animal, which is why we succeeded as a species. We became the dominant species on Earth not because of some Dione intervention, but because Human beings are, by nature very adaptable and able to survive.

Mary Etheldreda 07-10-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 420wakeandbake69 (Post 1014398)
Human beings are, by nature very adaptable and able to survive.

That's just how God intended!

Praise JESUS!

alex.siegel 07-10-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Etheldreda (Post 1014406)
That's just how God intended!

Praise JESUS!

I'm afraid to inform you that nature is harsh. So harsh, in fact, that many times species are simply unfit for survival. All of those species die out. The only ones left are the ones that are good at survival. Human beings are so marvelous because we are the product of many years of environmental tailoring. When the climate changed, and the Earth got much colder, many species died. Humans simply formed new methods of hunting and surviving. Keep in mind that we aren't the only animals to be extremely intelligent either. Chimpanzees, our closest extant relative, of which we are 99% genetically identical to, have been recorded using sharpened sticks as spears, and huntin with them. They, however, still do not possess the cognitive ability that people do. Somewhere along the lines of human development, there was a person-esque thing (Not quite a Human, but pretty close) who had a baby that was mutated. The baby wasn't a normal one, it had a different brain, due to a generic mutation from development. Thus, it was far smarter, so it survived for longer, and in turn had more children that it passed this trait on to.

I'm just trying to say that we are who we are because of thousands of years of natural selection. The weak people die, so only the strong survive, and humanity is stronger in the future. God had nothing to do with it.

Basilissa 07-10-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 420wakeandbake69 (Post 1014418)
I'm afraid to inform you that nature is harsh. So harsh, in fact, that many times species are simply unfit for survival. All of those species die out. The only ones left are the ones that are good at survival. Human beings are so marvelous because we are the product of many years of environmental tailoring. When the climate changed, and the Earth got much colder, many species died. Humans simply formed new methods of hunting and surviving. Keep in mind that we aren't the only animals to be extremely intelligent either. Chimpanzees, our closest extant relative, of which we are 99% genetically identical to, have been recorded using sharpened sticks as spears, and huntin with them. They, however, still do not possess the cognitive ability that people do. Somewhere along the lines of human development, there was a person-esque thing (Not quite a Human, but pretty close) who had a baby that was mutated. The baby wasn't a normal one, it had a different brain, due to a generic mutation from development. Thus, it was far smarter, so it survived for longer, and in turn had more children that it passed this trait on to.

I'm just trying to say that we are who we are because of thousands of years of natural selection. The weak people die, so only the strong survive, and humanity is stronger in the future. God had nothing to do with it.

Wrong.

Whichever species died off (didn't survive the Great Flood), it was all part of God's design.

alex.siegel 07-10-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1014468)
Wrong.

Whichever species died off (didn't survive the Great Flood), it was all part of God's design.

Too bad that the only evidence that we have for a "great flood" is from a crusty, 2000 year-old book...

Basilissa 07-10-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 420wakeandbake69 (Post 1014472)
Too bad that the only evidence that we have for a "great flood" is from a crusty, 2000 year-old book...

Most of it is much older than 2000 years.

It is the Word of God, what other evidence do we need?

alex.siegel 07-10-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1014473)
Most of it is much older than 2000 years.

It is the Word of God, what other evidence do we need?

Evidence that God is actually a real thing.

I don't trust stuff that people tell me unless I know that they're trustworthy. I have no reason to believe that God exists, therefore I have no reason to believe anything that he supposedly said.

Basilissa 07-10-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 420wakeandbake69 (Post 1014474)
Evidence that God is actually a real thing.

I don't trust stuff that people tell me unless I know that they're trustworthy. I have no reason to believe that God exists, therefore I have no reason to believe anything that he supposedly said.

I also don't trust people (e.g., scientists). I do, however, trust God. Why wouldn't I? He knows everything, and He put everything that I need to know in the Holy Bible.

Praise LORD! :innocent:

alex.siegel 07-10-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basilissa (Post 1014475)
I also don't trust people (e.g., scientists). I do, however, trust God. Why wouldn't I? He knows everything, and He put everything that I need to know in the Holy Bible.

Praise LORD! :innocent:

But he's not real. You have no solid, concrete proof that he exists, yet you completely disregard science, which is generally testable, solid statements. Why?

Pastor Ezekiel 07-11-2013 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex.siegel (Post 1014477)
But he's not real. You have no solid, concrete proof that he exists, yet you completely disregard science, which is generally testable, solid statements. Why?

crispybrain 07-11-2013 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex.siegel (Post 1014322)

We don't, simple as that

Redeemed Papist 07-11-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex.siegel (Post 1014472)

You have a better explanation for seashells up mountains and whale bones in the desert?

I bet it's far fetched nonsenes like mountains move and deserts were once the sea floor.

Jack O'fagan 07-11-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed Papist (Post 1014568)

I bet it's far fetched nonsenes like mountains move and deserts were once the sea floor.

Yes, I wish I had enough faith to be an atheist,

YIC

Jack

alex.siegel 07-11-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed Papist (Post 1014568)
You have a better explanation for seashells up mountains and whale bones in the desert?

So the climate of Earth changing over the course of millions of years is nonsense but an old dude that lives in the sky magically putting water everywhere is?

This book is 2000 piffleing years old people... People wanted to explain stuff. It's the same reason that the Greek gods existed. People want to rationalize things that they don't understand.