The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   MEET CHRISTIAN SINGLES! (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Book Clubs (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=114800)

MitzaLizalor 05-23-2018 12:39 PM

Book Clubs

I've heard that people join "book clubs" where they meet up to "discuss" a book they've supposedly read. They will say things like
Ermintrude
I thought it was very well crafted, tension between the protagonists highlighting how meagre their antitheses schemes really were.

Nisbert
Eee-ars, but surely that tension was itself the antagonist, counterpointing the surrealism of the underlying methaphor of the authors (and hence of ones own) soul.

Aubrey
Well really, Nisbert, no comment at all is better than recycling a third hand critique! Did one fail to understand any aspect of the linguistic palette?

Ermintrude
oh, That was disappointing, Nisbert..

Aubrey
I've been doing some pen & ink drawings, Erm, you might like them. Theres a bott. of champagne at home.

Ermintrude
Yes, that sounds nice. Aubrey, would you mind terribly if I came back with you? We could start on next month's novel..
With novels unavailable from Landover booksellers these clubs, which are nothing more than pickup joints, have very limited opportunities to thrive. Should we also purge The Novel from any lending libraries still operating? Bookclubs are not above rehashing old novels, as you can see from the sorts of comments actually reading the things is superfluous, just so long as there's a volume to clasp "I'm just going to out bookclub meeting.." and it's all downhill from there.

Thank you for your consideration.

DolliMoans 05-23-2018 01:01 PM

Re: Book Clubs

I'm not quite sure, so I voted all of them to be safe. :dntknw:

I don't see the purpose of bookclubs where there's perfectly good Bible Study.

I know that obsessions are an unhealthy condition, therefore, this elusive "The Novel" sounds like a Dan Brown work of Satan to me. :nononono:

Besides, who has time to read when there's work to be done around the kitchen?

P.S. I'd watch out for that Aubrey. They sound like they have mischief on their mind.

MitzaLizalor 05-23-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DolliMoans (Post 1233655)
I'm not quite sure, so I voted all of them to be safe. :dntknw:

I don't see the purpose of bookclubs where there's perfectly good Bible Study.

I know that obsessions are an unhealthy condition, therefore, this elusive "The Novel" sounds like a Dan Brown work of Satan to me. :nononono:

Besides, who has time to read when there's work to be done around the kitchen?

P.S. I'd watch out for that Aubrey. They sound like they have mischief on their mind.

They met in a "bookclub" one of which I was dragged along to a year or two ago. I was appalled! They sat around in a circle talking nonsense which, I thought, could equally apply to any book at all, especially since they all said completely different nonsense. I didn't enter the room but walked around a bit: they had their own library, hence my concern. The dress code was very relaxed it was obvious what they were up to

Nobar King 05-23-2018 04:57 PM

I think a book club is a euphemism for something that women do when they get together. I'm not really sure what it is.

DolliMoans 05-23-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobar King (Post 1233666)
I think a book club is a euphemism for something that women do when they get together. I'm not really sure what it is.

I know they like to lick the pages to turn them easier. :hmmm: This isn't something I know first hand.

Elmer G. White 05-24-2018 04:45 AM

Dear Sister Mitza,

Book Clubs are Satanic. This is not immediately apparent but if we look at the issue through the Divine Lens of Creation Science we can easily see, how the concept "Ladies' Book Club" is just an ill-disguised effort to hide the real agenda of this travestous practice. First example:

https://s26.postimg.cc/63vzho149/bookclub.gif

Duckbill? A Duckbill dinosaur? Of the Created dino kind that thrived only a little while (Job 40:15 tells us all that there is to know about dinosaurs) after Noah's Flood. This animal playing one of the vilest instruments available, the oboe? A woodwind blow-horn that simulates oral gratification. And all this in the name of "as Book Club".

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/a...4-thickbox.jpg

Example 2:

https://s26.postimg.cc/c4toeqvg9/bookclub2.gif

I do admit that consuming immature children is sometimes approved in the Bible:

Leviticus 26:29
And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.

https://ethicsalarms.files.wordpress...baby.jpg?w=500

Still, a club dedicated to cooking children just because the wives are bored and find the babies dull is a bit extreme, don't you think? However, as always I vote for the option that leaves the ultimate decision to our Pastors, wise men who might well establish a book club dedicated to reciting the KJV Bible on a constant basis. Now that's a club that I would attend although it would have only very minor effects on the my daily routines, as I would be reading the Glorious KJV anyway.

Yours in Christ,

Elmer :bye:

Romper 06-13-2018 01:28 AM

I am all in favour of clubbing the deserving with books.
A police officer friend of mine says it leaves less bruising.

https://static9.depositphotos.com/15...-with-book.jpg

Didymus Much 06-13-2018 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romper (Post 1234379)
I am all in favour of clubbing the deserving with books.
A police officer friend of mine says it leaves less bruising.

https://static9.depositphotos.com/15...-with-book.jpg

A 3-button jacket done up :bad: over jeans :bashpreach: is the crime here.

Romper 06-13-2018 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1234380)
A 3-button jacket done up :bad: over jeans :bashpreach: is the crime here.

I can forgive a man for his terrible dress sense as long as he keeps on beating uppity joo lesbians with his bible.

DolliMoans 06-18-2018 02:22 PM

It's nice to know someone can still find work as actor for stock photos with such requirements as "30 year old man with bland questionable fashion sense cheerfully administering discipline with heavy Bible" and "middle aged be-speckled jewish lady feigning surprise" :lol:

MitzaLizalor 06-19-2018 05:52 AM

I'm trying a new recipe for lemon chicken. One of the worst literary genres is the "space opera" also known as science fiction. Usually set in the future, but could be set in ancient Mesopotamia or Great Zimbabwe, as a category dealing with "issues" this rubbish qualifies as great literature. By book club standards. Purists, such as second wave feminist English professors or NPR literary critics, will probably disagree but just because The Novel deals with a few specific if hackneyed issues does not mean that its 20th century equivalent is junk penmanship. After all, during the 19th century issues addressed in novels were themselves regarded as nonsense designed to fill empty heads with idiotic ideas. I am using lemon grass, water chestnuts, sliced ginger, bamboo shoots and sweet onions.

BANG!

With the arrival of the 20th century new social orders erupted from the pages of novels in every way opposed to the message of The Bible. Within that century new "rubbish" literatures developed insinuating that there was no Heaven above us for any God to look down from. Therefore, it was claimed, He did not look down and so couldn't see what we did. Fantastic adventures were proposed, and just as The Novel emerged from Samuel Richardson's Pamela written in a previous century, so this new genre emerged from ideas circulated during the Victorian era and with equally catastrophic results. When cooking in a tajine it is recommended to use no more than ½ doz. ingredients.

Nowadays, with professors sneering at space operas and retreating into cloisters where defunct "novels" are discussed, new book clubs have sprung up where new anti-Biblical ideas are examined. And in the 21st century so called "scientists" advocate actually implementing them! Look what happened before!! Will the same thing happen again? If so, as seems to be the case, then the scribblings inspiring them must be considered Great Literature too. That is an open door for new heresies and for new societies based upon them. As such these also must be eliminated from Christian reading lists and parents need to watch out for titles from the last century and from the physicists who promote them, in this. After cooking I'm allowing 48 hours for savoury notes to amalgamate, in the tajine, before serving.

I hope this is helpful for everyone concerned about the direction society is headed and for purging unsuitable titles from their own and their children's bookshelves. And apps. Be vigilant: speak out. Jesus is watching what everyone reads. Satan is watching too.
Joshua 24:14-15 Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD. And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Ol Thumper 06-23-2018 04:24 PM

My wife Annie rather enjoys going to book clubs. Are there any meetups for Christian book clubs in my area for her to attend? I am asking so that she may join. She used to meet up with the other folk from church at Barbara's home but Barbara recently passed away due to her falling down the stairs and the estate being taken over by her son. Her friends are also interested in finding a safe place to continue the book club meetings.

Ezekiel Bathfire 06-23-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper (Post 1234695)
My wife Annie rather enjoys going to book clubs.

Rather symptomatic of the female condition, don't you think? A sort of "lack of realism; sublimating "desires" in vicarious sin; unable to control the direction of the mind - confusing reality and the truth with "a story".

Landover has a "Book Club." It has one Book - KJV1611, it is free and open to all.

I think it was Eusabius of Caesarea who said, "If it is not in the Bible, it is is a lie; if it is in the Bible, it is a duplication."

Ol Thumper 06-23-2018 10:46 PM

A lot of the literature from what I can tell from over here are articles about why abortion is a sin, several books written by Donald J Trump, and The KJV Bible mixed in there along with our tithing records for our church. If I may, may me and my wife join you all at your congregation for a KJV Bible study? My wife makes a mean apple pie and mashed potatoes (not together of course hahaha).

Mary Etheldreda 06-24-2018 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper (Post 1234714)
A lot of the literature from what I can tell from over here are articles about why abortion is a sin, several books written by Donald J Trump, and The KJV Bible mixed in there along with our tithing records for our church. If I may, may me and my wife join you all at your congregation for a KJV Bible study? My wife makes a mean apple pie and mashed potatoes (not together of course hahaha).

What a lovely idea, Mr. Thumper! I will certainly add you to my Prayer Wall if led to do so by the Holy Ghost. The thing is, Landover Baptist Church is a remarkably exclusive church, being the only one on God's Flat Earth that can guarantee salvation. You must understand we follow the Holy Bible to the letter, and that includes keeping the riff-raff out (Matthew 7:6).

I'm not suggesting you're riff-raff, or swine of course, Mr. Thumper, but until the Department of Faith conducts a thorough investigation, including surveillance of you, your immediate family, your extended family, your fellow church goers, neighbors (past and present), coworkers (past and present), childhood babysitter, banker, travel itinerary, computer habits, spending habits, etc, etc, etc, we can't simply change our policy of including only the worthwhile just because you ask nicely. After all, have you ever met a nice Jew? They can be charming. I think they learn it in their synagogues in order to lead astray those who do not know their Bible. Not that I'm accusing you of being a Jew. But how would I know? People aren't always honest on the internet.

Ol Thumper 06-24-2018 02:22 PM

Every time I try to post my address or phone number for someone to help me with matters on this forum, it gets automatically retracted because of JesOS it says. My Intro post is showing this. Perhaps does your church have one so that me and my wife can drive or fly down to visit? After doing research, it simply seems like a Christian paradise. I would consider it a pilgrimage for God!

Mary Etheldreda 06-24-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper (Post 1234726)
Every time I try to post my address or phone number for someone to help me with matters on this forum, it gets automatically retracted because of JesOS it says. My Intro post is showing this. Perhaps does your church have one so that me and my wife can drive or fly down to visit? After doing research, it simply seems like a Christian paradise. I would consider it a pilgrimage for God!

Don't fret, dear. The DoF is already on the job.

:ph34r:

Romeo Rovagnati 07-11-2018 07:44 AM

Actually, i think that bookclubs could be a good idea, as long they have those books only:
  • The Bible (The Latin Vulgata version)
  • Church Fathers writings
  • True History (lacking any liberal lie)
  • Fantasy books (as long they are written by Christians, such as Tolkien)
  • Books written by the Popes and by the Catholic Clergy
  • Political books (teaching kids to be right-winger)
  • Lives of the Saints
  • True Science books (that are completely lacking atheistic frauds like the Big Ben)
  • Educative books, such as the series called "Vigilant Christian"
  • Anti-LGBT books
And i think that all those books are as enough for a Christian Book Club.

MitzaLizalor 07-11-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romeo Rovagnati (Post 1235137)
Actually, i think that bookclubs could be a good idea, as long they have those books only:
  • The Bible (The Latin Vulgata version)
  • Church Fathers writings
  • True History (lacking any liberal lie)
  • Fantasy books (as long they are written by Christians, such as Tolkien)
  • Books written by the Popes and by the Catholic Clergy
  • Political books (teaching kids to be right-winger)
  • Lives of the Saints
  • True Science books (that are completely lacking atheistic frauds like the Big Ben)
  • Educative books, such as the series called "Vigilant Christian"
  • Anti-LGBT books
And i think that all those books are as enough for a Christian Book Club.

The highlighting I've added represents a vast genre of heresy when contrasted with what God has vouchsafed for our edification. Although later inspiration may be possible, such as afforded to John on Patmos, in every case it will be consistent with what God had revealed thitherto.

I read your list.

Obviously no "church" having "fathers" is Christian v.i.
But something I'd like clarified is: what's your definition of a Saint?

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Romeo Rovagnati 07-12-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitzaLizalor (Post 1235138)
But something I'd like clarified is: what's your definition of a Saint

My definition of saint is the same of the whole Catholic Church: someone who gave the example of the Christian teachings and earned a special place in heaven, along with some devotion from Catholic believers.