The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Auntie Flo's Prayer Shack for Women (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Two ladies wearing the same dress at church? (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=62171)

Mrs. Mary Whitford 03-28-2011 05:22 PM

Two ladies wearing the same dress at church?

As everyone who was at church yesterday knows, there was an unfortunate incident between Mrs. H. Abernathy and Mrs. J. Morcombe when they wore the same dress to services. Words were had and things started getting physical enough that their husbands had to intervene before they were charged an extra tithe. Frankly, having seen the dresses in question I don't know why they even made such a fuss, but still I thought I should dredge up some sage advice I once gave to our own dear, sweet Petal who asked what should be done in such circumstances...

What should True Christian™ ladies do if two wear the same dress to church?

Pastor's wives always get first choice, but most women in church aren't married to the pastors. There are ways to determine who gets to wear the dress in question.
First you have to look at tithing status. If one is in a lower tithing tier, she must be the one to go home to change. Unless the dress is inexpensive enough that the higher level tither should go home in shame to dress in something more appropriate. Remember, "costly array" as preached against in 1 Timothy 2:9 is subjective! The more money that's available to buy an outfit, the less costly that outfit is!
If they are both equal tithers, then it depends on marital status. A married woman's dress would be picked out for her by her husband, and an unmarried woman's dress picked out for her by her father. While a woman should honor her father (Exodus 20:12), her husband is the head of her just as Christ is the head of the man (1 Corinthians 11:3). Besides, if she's old enough to be considered a woman, why isn't she married yet? There must be something wrong with her! Thus the spinster would be the one who would have to go change.
If they are equal tithers and have the same marital status, the next thing to consider is age. 1 Timothy 5:2 tells us to treat elder women as mothers and the younger as sisters. Going back to Exodus 20:12, we should also honor our mothers, so the older women gets to wear the dress.
But what if both women are equal tithers of the same marital status and age? What then? Normally when one is facing a tough question like this, the only thing to do is ask a pastor. However, considering it's at church on Sunday, the pastors have better things to do than to worry about the petty concerns of women!
The best thing to do in this situation is for the women to speak to the highest ranking member of the Ladies of Landover who is available. I'm senior vice president, so I'd be pleased to help any Platinum or Gold Tithers if my husband, Mr. Whitford, could spare me.

Or alternately, as Mr. Whitford says, stop your whining and concentrate on Jesus!

(And Mrs. Abernathy? Nobody believes that hair color. You get to wear the dress.)

James Hutchins 03-28-2011 07:20 PM

Re: Two ladies wearing the same dress at church?

I know that will never happen to the Platinum tithers as all their clothes are custom made.
Mrs. Hutchins makes her own, using remnants from my old suits, shirts, overalls and underware. No one dresses like her.

I know what you mean about Mrs. Abernathy, even I snicker when I see it. I am sure her decorator does not match the carpet to the drapes!

Rev. M. Rodimer 03-31-2011 06:09 PM

Sister Mary, wouldn't it be a simple matter for the younger woman to dribble a little coffee on her dress? The stain should make it sufficiently diferent. And perhaps give it a contemporary, Jackson Pollock edge.

This way, she'd not risk missing the sermon. :thumbsup:

Mrs. Mary Whitford 03-31-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev. M. Rodimer (Post 722143)
Sister Mary, wouldn't it be a simple matter for the younger woman to dribble a little coffee on her dress? The stain should make it sufficiently diferent. And perhaps give it a contemporary, Jackson Pollock edge.

That would work, and it reminds me of an amusing anecdote...

Last November, I went to services and Mrs. Reynolds was wearing a diamond tennis bracelet that looked astonishingly similar to the one I had on. I was so SURPRISED that I accidentally spilled my scalding coffee all over her head! Oh boy, was my face red! :lol:

Bible Student 04-05-2011 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Mary Whitford (Post 722198)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev. M. Rodimer http://www.landoverbaptist.net/image...s/viewpost.gif

That would work, and it reminds me of an amusing anecdote...

Last November, I went to services and Mrs. Reynolds was wearing a diamond tennis bracelet that looked astonishingly similar to the one I had on. I was so SURPRISED that I accidentally spilled my scalding coffee all over her head! Oh boy, was my face red! :lol:

It seems that that might have complicated things for you. After having spilled scalding coffee on her head, wouldn't her face be red too? People in attendance might get the impression that she was imitating you all over again.

Mrs. Mary Whitford 04-05-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bible Student (Post 725597)
It seems that that might have complicated things for you. After having spilled scalding coffee on her head, wouldn't her face be red too? People in attendance might get the impression that she was imitating you all over again.

I have no idea. She ran out of church screaming and her husband had to bring one of the faith healers out to her. :lol:

MisterM 04-08-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Mary Whitford (Post 725895)
I have no idea. She ran out of church screaming and her husband had to bring one of the faith healers out to her. :lol:

Wasn't that quite cruel. I mean just wearing same kind on bracelet and getting act like that. Didn't she think other at all when she shocked you all screaming like that. I just hope that faith healers were enough. I think she would have deserved good old spanking and prayer closet for few days.:angry:

Rev. M. Rodimer 04-13-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterM (Post 728117)
Wasn't that quite cruel. I mean just wearing same kind on bracelet and getting act like that. Didn't she think other at all when she shocked you all screaming like that. I just hope that faith healers were enough. I think she would have deserved good old spanking and prayer closet for few days.:angry:

Yes, that definitely was rude behavior!

Her screams could have given Brother Nobar or Old Man Hatchet a fright! :angry:

(Or were the faith custodians required to bring the mop, Sister Mary?)

J3suslovesall 05-12-2011 08:30 AM

Knife fight to the death. who ever dies,, gets their dress ripped off and their body thrown in the church's sound booth.

PurposeToMelody 05-12-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J3suslovesall (Post 748787)

Knife fight to the death. who ever dies,, gets their dress ripped off and their body thrown in the church's sound booth.

They probably don't have a sound booth dude, PA is of the devil, that bass is demonic!

Two-Dollar Bill 05-12-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurposeToMelody (Post 748800)
They probably don't have a sound booth dude, PA is of the devil, that bass is demonic!

Freehold is in Iowa, not Pennsylvania.

Mrs. Mary Whitford 02-18-2014 08:23 AM

It turns out this thread is an appropriate reminder, isn't it, Mrs. Williams? :angry: