The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Christian history forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Days of the week (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=37957)

RunarIce 02-24-2010 07:18 PM

Days of the week

Why do you still call the days of the week Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday? Do you not realise that calling the days by those names is pagan worship?

Tuesday means the day of Tır, the old Icelandic god of war.
Wednesday means the day of Woden (Óğinn), the old Icelandic Head god.
Thursday means the day of Thor, the old Icelandic god of thunder.
Friday means the day of Frige (Frigg), the old Icelandic Head goddess.
Saturday means the day of Saturn, a old Roman god.

Icelanders stopped calling the days by pagan names in the early middle ages...
I find it quite amusing that you still do:D

Miss Cassandra 02-24-2010 11:09 PM

Re: Days of the week

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunarIce (Post 477797)
Why do you still call the days of the week Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday? Do you not realise that calling the days by those names is pagan worship?

As a practicing wiccan, I'm proud of it! However, my "true christian" neighbours here in Freehold will be less pleased by this information. Awesome!:thumbsup:

James Hutchins 02-24-2010 11:19 PM

Children, the 'days of the week' were created by God, not thousands of years later by drunk guys wearing hats eating blubber. Honestly, do you think we got an eskime education?

Typical icelandic learning time:
"OPlaf, can I eat that?" "No Gorf, that is dog poo, eat this, it is rotted blubber"

Cranky Old Man 02-27-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Do you not realise that calling

I would like to call you an idiot.

grantedgrace 03-03-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

You are correct that those are what the names originated as, but that does not mean keeping those words in use is a form of pagan worship. If you want to make it that way, there are tons of words in the English language that originate from other languages, in fact, the entire English language is based on different languages. What your saying is that using a word from another society means you are following what that society did. Thats untrue. That would be like saying oh you use the word taco, you must be mexican. God gave us the days of the week, it doesnt matter how we named them, as long as we follow his word

Nobar King 03-03-2010 07:51 PM

What it means is that the Norse picked the names of their gods out of a calendar. :rofl:

grantedgrace 03-03-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobar King (Post 482670)
What it means is that the Norse picked the names of their gods out of a calendar. :rofl:

No, the Pagan Trash is right, those days of the week come from the Norse gods, it is a simple matter of linguistics. However to imply that we are worshiping there pagan gods by still using the words is stupid on his part.

Cranky Old Man 03-07-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantedgrace (Post 482673)
Pagan Trash is right

No, he is wrong. Unfortunately Iceland does not have education so everyone there is ignorant.

BelieverInGod 03-07-2010 09:05 PM

I don't even know if they got it from the calendar. Really I mean just because Thurs sorta sounds like Thor that means it's really Thors day? And how do they get Odin out of Wednesday?

It's just more liebral lies if you ask me. :thumbdown:

SUV 03-07-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Woden (Óğinn), the old Icelandic Head god....
Frige (Frigg), the old Icelandic Head goddess.

I will thank you to keep your sexural preversions and blasphemies off of our Godly Christian board :thumbdown:

Ezekiel Bathfire 03-08-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantedgrace (Post 482673)
[...] it is a simple matter of linguistics. [...]

All anyone needs to know about so-called, "linguistics" is contained in
Ge:11:4: And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
Ge:11:5: And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
Ge:11:6: And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Ge:11:7: Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
Ge:11:8: So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
Ge:11:9: Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.