The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Favorite Bible Verses (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Favorite Verses to quote to your children (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=21691)

bullput 04-30-2009 06:11 PM

Favorite Verses to quote to your children

In the spirit of training up my children in the way they should go... what would be the top 10 verses you would like to instill in your children for their moral character and strength?

For example... "you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you".

What would be your top 10? Chapter and verse if you can remember them.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Nurse Clampett 04-30-2009 07:13 PM

Re: Favorite Verses to quote to your children

Every night before bed I make my little soldiers recite these loving passages:

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
Psalm 137:9

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it."
Malachi 2:3

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."
Leviticus 20:9

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before
a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion
Leviticus:18 22-23

"Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."
Hosea 13:16

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."
Deuteronomy 21:18-21

"And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:"
Deuteronomy 28:53

"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety."
1 Timothy 2:12-15

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"
2 Corinthians 6:14

Thou shalt notsuffer a witch to live.
Exodus 22:18

Brother Lazarus 05-03-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nurse Clampett (Post 320250)
Every night before bed I make my little soldiers recite these loving passages:

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
Psalm 137:9

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it."

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."
Leviticus 20:9

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before
a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion
Leviticus:18 22-23

"Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."
Hosea 13:16

If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:
Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;
And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.
And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."

"And thou shalt eat the fruit of thine own body, the flesh of thy sons and of thy daughters, which the LORD thy God hath given thee, in the siege, and in the straitness, wherewith thine enemies shall distress thee:"
Deuteronomy 28:53

"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety."
1 Timothy 2:12-15

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?"
2 Corinthians 6:14

Thou shalt notsuffer a witch to live.
Exodus 22:18

That was inspirational Nurse Clampett. Your children are truly blessed!

Yours in Christ:jesus:
Brother Lazarus

SoldierofChrist 06-17-2015 01:26 AM

Though I have no children of my own, I often attend to my brothers child and before I lay her down for a nap I always recite this to her.

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

Mary Etheldreda 06-17-2015 03:28 AM

^^^

That's wonderful! It's good for children to hear the Word of God and know how it can be applied today. I often tell my daughters the story of the hospital intern who thought it was unfair a patient didn't pay his bill when he could easily have done so. The intern tracked the patient down, received the money without confrontation, and returned to the doctor so the bill would be paid. The doctor, angry with this turn of events, promptly injected the intern with the AIDS virus.

This is essentially what Elisha, a man of God did to his own servant (2 Kings 5:20-27). I want my children to know they should never ever ever assume they know more than a man of God (which today is their father, tomorrow is their husband, and forever more is their Pastor), or they too may be corrected in such a way as to make them wish they were never born. Without obedience, there is no peace, I always say. That's why God tells us our sole duty in life is to fear and obey Him (Ecclesiastes 12:13).

:)

The Lord's Hammer 07-27-2015 07:31 PM

One of my favorites for my kids.

Deuteronomy 28:63
And it shall come to pass,*that*as the LORD rejoiced over you to do you good, and to multiply you; so the LORD will rejoice over you to destroy you, and to bring you to nought; and ye shall be plucked from off the land whither thou goest to possess it.

homeofmen 08-12-2015 03:46 PM

Like the entire book of Song of Solomon, because you don't want to leave any of the Bible to kids.

ch1st1andad 08-23-2015 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homeofmew (Post 1155140)
Like the entire book of Song of Solomon, because you don't want to leave any of the Bible to kids.

"piffle you, I will corrupt your semen, and spread shit upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it."

Mary Etheldreda 08-23-2015 12:59 AM

I think you mean,

Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces, even the dung of your solemn feasts;
and one shall take you away with it.

You should probably read this primer for noobs first, and be sure to use the King James Version Bible only when sharing your opinions. The rights you have on this forum can be read HERE.

I hope that helps.

:)

amythornton 09-07-2015 09:54 PM

My four angels were all raised in a Godly house, and we have a short Bible study every night before lights out! Now that my dear Anna has graduated high school, she is embarking on her exciting college journey and has assured me that she'll bring her Bible with her to campus, and will be reading it every night. As for my oldest son Josiah, he is married and is expecting soon, so he has been asking me for certain quotes as well!

My darling Hannah, who's just turned four, loves the story of the prodigal son. It reminds her of how even though some people might stray, like how my sister is an "atheist", they will always come back and we will welcome her right back into the family as soon as she has some sense knocked back into her.

As for Thea, my ten-year-old, here are her two favourite verses.

Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.
(Deu 22:11) We like this one because it reminds of the sin of mixed cloth, such as polyester. If I ever saw my children wearing such a thing, it would be tossed into a fire to burn!

Luke 18:28-30 And Peter said, “See, we have left our homes and followed you.” (29) And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, (30) who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.”

Every child should have a Bible with them at all times! My daughter Thea will take it out whenever someone mentions God, to make sure not a single fact is mistaken. As for Josiah and Anna, I know they are joining every Christian group they can and are well on their ways to healthy, conservative Christian lives. My dear Hannah has already memorized some bible verses, and she's not even in school yet! If that's not a prodigy, I don't know what is!

Oh, and for all those moms that are expecting, you should still be reading to them! I'm in my second trimester with a beautiful baby boy and I read the Bible to him every chance I get. Of course, do NOT read him any "fairy tales" or anything that might instil devil-like thinking. That's when the devil gets them, when they're still inside you!

Des 09-08-2015 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amythornton (Post 1158020)
My four angels were all raised in a Godly house, and we have a short Bible study every night before lights out! Now that my dear Anna has graduated high school, she is embarking on her exciting college journey and has assured me that she'll bring her Bible with her to campus, and will be reading it every night.

What in tarnation does she need to go to college for? Was there some advanced ironing technique you were too inept to teach her or something?

Basilissa 09-08-2015 03:09 AM

Quote:

My four angels were all raised in a Godly house, and we have a short Bible study every night before lights out! Now that my dear Anna has graduated high school, she is embarking on her exciting college journey and has assured me that she'll bring her Bible with her to campus, and will be reading it every night. As for my oldest son Josiah, he is married and is expecting soon, so he has been asking me for certain quotes as well!

My darling Hannah, who's just turned four, loves the story of the prodigal son. It reminds her of how even though some people might stray, like how my sister is an "atheist", they will always come back and we will welcome her right back into the family as soon as she has some sense knocked back into her.

As for Thea, my ten-year-old, here are her two favourite verses.

Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.
(Deu 22:11) We like this one because it reminds of the sin of mixed cloth, such as polyester. If I ever saw my children wearing such a thing, it would be tossed into a fire to burn!

Luke 18:28-30 And Peter said, “See, we have left our homes and followed you.” (29) And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, (30) who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.”

Every child should have a Bible with them at all times! My daughter Thea will take it out whenever someone mentions God, to make sure not a single fact is mistaken. As for Josiah and Anna, I know they are joining every Christian group they can and are well on their ways to healthy, conservative Christian lives. My dear Hannah has already memorized some bible verses, and she's not even in school yet! If that's not a prodigy, I don't know what is!

Oh, and for all those moms that are expecting, you should still be reading to them! I'm in my second trimester with a beautiful baby boy and I read the Bible to him every chance I get. Of course, do NOT read him any "fairy tales" or anything that might instil devil-like thinking. That's when the devil gets them, when they're still inside you!

Hello, dear, and :welcome-flowers: to God's favorite forum! Say, why don't you hop to the Introduction Forum and create an introduction thread, so we can all get to know you better? :)

Fred Hall 09-08-2015 03:41 AM

My favorite is found in Genesis chapter 22, where God tells Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. Now, I figure sometimes it's actually better to show a child something, than simply read it to them. Therefore, this is what I did to my son when he was 10 years old:

While he was away doing other chores, I climbed the hill behind our back yard and tied one of my neighbor's sheep to a tree...sorta hidden out of view. Then I walked back down and called my son. He answered: "Yes father... I am here!". So I said: "Come on boy.... me and you is gonna offer up a sacrifice to the Lord".

So I got him to carry a bunch of firewood up the hill, while I carried a butcher knife, some rope, and a wetstone for sharpening the knife. On the way up the hill, my son asked: "Father, what are we gonna be sacrificing to the Lord?" I simply answered: "Have faith little one, the Lord will provide a sacrifice for us."

When we finally got to the top of the hill, I cold cocked him one right in the side of the head, knocking him unconscious. I then tied him up with the rope, and put him on top of the firewood. When he came to, he was crying and stuff, saying: "Dad! What are you doing? Please stop!" But I kept sharpening the knife, and told him to quit being a pussy, and that the Lord wanted me to sacrifice him. As he was freaking out, I tried to calm him by saying: "Don't worry son, when I slit your throat, I'll do it quick so that you feel as little pain as possible before you die." For some reason, that didn't seem to calm him though.

Anyways, finally, I said to him: "Goodbye son, the Lord will take care of you from now on." Then I put the blade of the knife against his throat, and pressed down just a little bit, so he could feel it. Then all of a sudden I looked up and said: "What's that Lord? Don't kill the boy? There is a sheep tied to a tree around the corner over there? Sacrifice that instead?" Then I quickly got up and ran over and brought the sheep out. As my son was still tied up and watching, I slit the sheep's throat, and as the sheep's blood was pouring out all over my son, I said to my son: "You see how merciful the Lord is? He spared you, and now you're covered in the blood of the lamb! Praise Jesus!!!"

Sometimes reading to kids just doesn't get the message across clear enough. Sometimes they need you as a parent to show them these things. This is one experience I'm sure my son will not soon forget. Praise Jesus!:thumbsup:

Des 09-08-2015 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Hall (Post 1158041)
My favorite is found in Genesis chapter 22, where God tells Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. Now, I figure sometimes it's actually better to show a child something, than simply read it to them. Therefore, this is what I did to my son when he was 10 years old:

While he was away doing other chores, I climbed the hill behind our back yard and tied one of my neighbor's sheep to a tree...sorta hidden out of view. Then I walked back down and called my son. He answered: "Yes father... I am here!". So I said: "Come on boy.... me and you is gonna offer up a sacrifice to the Lord".

So I got him to carry a bunch of firewood up the hill, while I carried a butcher knife, some rope, and a wetstone for sharpening the knife. On the way up the hill, my son asked: "Father, what are we gonna be sacrificing to the Lord?" I simply answered: "Have faith little one, the Lord will provide a sacrifice for us."

When we finally got to the top of the hill, I cold cocked him one right in the side of the head, knocking him unconscious. I then tied him up with the rope, and put him on top of the firewood. When he came to, he was crying and stuff, saying: "Dad! What are you doing? Please stop!" But I kept sharpening the knife, and told him to quit being a pussy, and that the Lord wanted me to sacrifice him. As he was freaking out, I tried to calm him by saying: "Don't worry son, when I slit your throat, I'll do it quick so that you feel as little pain as possible before you die." For some reason, that didn't seem to calm him though.

Anyways, finally, I said to him: "Goodbye son, the Lord will take care of you from now on." Then I put the blade of the knife against his throat, and pressed down just a little bit, so he could feel it. Then all of a sudden I looked up and said: "What's that Lord? Don't kill the boy? There is a sheep tied to a tree around the corner over there? Sacrifice that instead?" Then I quickly got up and ran over and brought the sheep out. As my son was still tied up and watching, I slit the sheep's throat, and as the sheep's blood was pouring out all over my son, I said to my son: "You see how merciful the Lord is? He spared you, and now you're covered in the blood of the lamb! Praise Jesus!!!"

Sometimes reading to kids just doesn't get the message across clear enough. Sometimes they need you as a parent to show them these things. This is one experience I'm sure my son will not soon forget. Praise Jesus!:thumbsup:

Mercy me, but this nearly moved me to tears. Other than the Bible itself, I would be hard pressed to remember anything I've read that was this inspirational.

Alvin Moss 09-08-2015 03:59 AM

I just constantly remind my youth of my own favorite verse. It is listed below. It is the one thing that everyone needs to keep in mind at all times.

Elmer G. White 09-08-2015 04:51 AM

Quote:

Mrs Thornton,

Your heart seems to be in the right place but I am slightly worried about your choice of a "verse". What is the book you are reading? I checked my memory and to be absolutely sure I also checked an actual paper copy in my collection of True™ Bibles and Luke 18:28-30 goes as follows:

Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.
And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

The text you quoted seems to be another book called the ESV aka the extra-sensory version. :huh: Please beware of these other books and use the Real Bible™ (the KJV®) from now on!

Yours in Christ,

Elmer :bye:

Harsha Shah 09-08-2015 09:31 AM

Yes, It is Harsha Shah here. I am also sometimes discussing religion with the children at school and while I am not practising christianity, there is a verse that I find very beautiful but also a little sad. It is the Matthew gospel chapter 18 "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." It is sad because many children die at a young age and they are never experiencing the full scope of human existance. Yes. It is also saying that the children should be preserving their innocence and open nature and not become cynical like us adults, yes? Yes!

DifferentPerspective 09-09-2015 01:22 AM

John 5:37-47
"You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. You diligently study the Scriptures, because you think by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life. I do not accept praise from men, but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain praise that comes from the only God?"

Luke 6:37-39
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured against you."

Luke 6:36 "Be merciful, just as your father is merciful."

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

John 14: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me."

Revelation 21:4 "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”"

Mark 12:31 "The second is love your neighbor as yourself. There are no commandments greater than these."

Ephesians 4:2 "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."

Peter 4:8 "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins."

John 4:18 "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear."

MitzaLizalor 09-09-2015 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harsha Shah (Post 1158066)
Yes, It is Harsha Shah here. I am also sometimes discussing religion with the children at school and while I am not practising christianity, there is a verse that I find very beautiful but also a little sad. It is the Matthew gospel chapter 18 "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." It is sad because many children die at a young age and they are never experiencing the full scope of human existance. Yes. It is also saying that the children should be preserving their innocence and open nature and not become cynical like us adults, yes? Yes!

Bypassing the maudlin tone of your conclusion, it is true that children have an innate understanding of God's truths.
Matthew 11:16-19 KJV
[Jesus speaking] Whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows, And saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented. For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil. The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.
Satan attacks them for that very reason. Satan wants them to "love everyone" including followers of false religions, idolators, evolutionists, exogeologists, the whole gamut of evil. That is why children need to be disciplined and that is how we may enter The Kingdom.
Hebrews 12:7-11 KJV
If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.
A reminder is essential to prevent these snares from taking root and dragging precious souls like netted fish upon the reef of torment and anguish forever. God is very clear about love and hate. Your message, reinforced with cherry picked verses prated out of context, is just the bait to lead these little ones astray. Luke well knew this when he recorded The Saviour's words and I recommend this passage whenever teaching children about love and hate as Jesus taught:
Luke 14:26-27 KJV
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Pastor Ezekiel 09-09-2015 03:56 AM

And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them. -- 2 Kings 2:23-24