The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   False Religions and Cults (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Attention atheists: Lacking belief requires faith (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=95758)

Pim Pendergast 01-05-2014 05:33 AM

Attention atheists: Lacking belief requires faith

Atheists love to play on words. You’ve probably heard atheists say they lack belief in a god or gods. You see, if they say they believe God doesn’t exist, that puts the burden of proof on them. So they try to shift the burden of proof back onto us by using a subtle play on words. They say they simply don’t believe God exists. But we know from the Bible that this is just not true. Deep down, everyone believes the God of the Bible exists.

Rom 1:18-20 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

I have often wondered how best to counter the argument that atheists simply lack faith. And then I found this post on Ray Comfort’s Facebook page.

Quote:

“Since you're an expert on atheists... tell me what exactly is it they ‘believe?" Mick Aswell

Ray Comfort: They believe that they have no beliefs in any gods. They believe in evolution. If you don’t believe that, check out www.evolutionvsGod.comand listen to them say what they believe.

So according to Ray, an atheist believes he has no belief in God. It is a faith-based position. Deep down, the atheist believes God exists, but he believes he doesn’t believe He does.

So next time you hear an atheist say he lacks belief in God, challenge him to support his claim that he believes he doesn’t believe in God.

Christians can play at word games too. This little semantic trick shifts the burden of proof back onto the atheist. Atheism does require faith. Atheists must justify their beliefs.

Zechariah Smyth 01-05-2014 05:55 AM

Re: Attention atheists: Lacking belief requires faith

Amen, Dr. Pim. Atheists actually make everything a lot more difficult by adding an extra layer of faith that isn't even required (not to mention a superfluous layer of denial).

I think it's part of their maniacal insistence on making everything more difficult and complicated than it has to be. For instance: we as True Christians™ believe that God created everything. BAM! That's it.

Meanwhile they insist on all kinds of improbable conditions and reliance on "research" by faceless people who change their theories on a yearly basis. For them to claim they don't have faith is simply laughable and frankly a little sad.

YiC,

Zech

Jedediah 01-05-2014 05:57 AM

Amen. It takes more faith to be an atheist than it does to simply acknowledge the Truth written even on their black little hearts. It's like arguing against air just because you can't see it. But the whole time they are going red in the face arguing against that which they know to be true, they are doing so by inhaling and exhaling that very air they are pretending to not believe in. :wacko:

When atheists pretend to not believe in God, they are merely suppressing their knowledge of Him. Without the LORD, they would not even be able to make their fallacious and ignorant arguments.

And Romans 1, as you pointed out, confirms that the knowledge of God is manifest within them. Atheists know that God exists. It's undeniable. But because their black, twisted hearts are so filled with rebellion against Him, they suppress that knowledge.

But in order to suppress the Truth, you have to have the Truth!

Undeniable evidence of God is all around us, so their refusal to acknowledge Him, much less glorify Him, is without excuse. This is why they will be resurrected from the dead only to be cast into the lake of fire (Revelation 21:8). They come up with all sorts of excuses as to why they shouldn't have to worship their Creator, and their twisted little hearts only grow darker and darker as they persist in the suppression of the Truth all around them.

Romans 1:21-23

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

They are, without variation, stupid and ridiculous people, so prideful and full of rebellion that they create an entire religion around the denial of the Truth all around them. It's pathetic.

Mark L. Snyde, PhD 01-05-2014 09:51 AM

Excellent thread, Dr. Pendergast. :thumbsup:

I have been told by God-hating atheists before that I am the one making the extraordinary claim, and therefore the burden of proof is upon me. I am sure many of us here have been assaulted by this same inane tomfoolery.

I counter naturally with the statement that saying the universe and all its complexity just happening as a result of random chance is by far the more extraordinary claim. Even a dim-witted child can see this.

Brother Zechariah also makes an excellent point regarding the layer upon layer of increasing complexity the atheist must blindly believe in order to deny God's obvious role in creation. The ever-increasing list of virtually impossible assumptions one must swallow to have faith in modern cosmology is quite staggering.

Brother Jedediah's statement that atheists actually know God exists, as does every human being that has ever lived, make perfect sense too. They are either brainwashed into denial as children by evil parents who prey on the impressionable young minds of children, or they purposefully lie, motivated by a desire to mercilessly torture God and gain approval from their master, Satan. I enjoy the knowledge that this approval will do them no good come judgement day. Their "god" will be shackled and powerless...Amen!!! :lol:

I have to say that I rather enjoy watching an atheist's face turn red with anger when he sees that I see through his twisted efforts to deny the obvious glory of God's handiwork. When I smile knowingly, and remind him he will burn forever, I can see the steam rising from his face. He becomes frustrated, flustered, and finally retreats, looking for a hole into which to climb so he can lick his festering wounds.

Atheism is truly an evil religion, gaining members worldwide at an alarming and accelerating pace. The only solace I find from this, is that it is foretold by God as a sign the end of this contaminated world is near, and we True Christians™ will finally be whisked away to glory, and then watch with glee as all those who have maliciously tormented God get their just deserts. Hallelujah! :innocent::thumbsup:B)

Ex-soccer player 01-05-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedediah (Post 1053441)
It's like arguing against air just because you can't see it. But the whole time they are going red in the face arguing against that which they know to be true, they are doing so by inhaling and exhaling that very air they are pretending to not believe in. :wacko:

When atheists pretend to not believe in God, they are merely suppressing their knowledge of Him. Without the LORD, they would not even be able to make their fallacious and ignorant arguments

Excellent point! Atheists are suppressing their knowledge of God. I think a lot of atheists have severe psychological problems. Maybe God has tested (1 Peter 1:7) them in a way they think they couldn't stand. Maybe they think God has treated them unfairly. But instead of taking it up in prayer, they pretend God doesn't exist. They are stupid enough to think this makes God go away.

Alvin Moss 01-05-2014 03:26 PM

You have brought up an interesting point, Brother Pim.

I have long since noticed that modern atheists are mostly members of the religion of "there is no God". They seem as obsessed with making sure that everyone knows what they think as the Witnesses are in making sure everyone knows what they think.

I haven't had any knock on my door yet, in the manner of the Witnesses, but I am sure it is just a matter of time. Door knocking will be costly for them in Texas, as we are armed and it is unwise to anger armed people. However, door knocking will provide martyrs for them, much as the Romans were provided with martyrs to promote their false religion.

I would not be surprized to find that the atheists have appointed a Pope, in the manner of the Romans, to lead their religion.

Perhaps the Lord will have a special place prepared for them in Hell, as He has for the Catholics.

Jason the drunk mick 01-09-2014 10:23 PM

How about i know god does not exist does that prove you wrong

Cranky Old Man 01-09-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klinker (Post 1054525)

No, that proves that you are a retarded idiot as even 2 year old children know God exists.

It's a pity you are too stupid to appreciate the genius that is Pim Pendergast. If you would have the mental capability to understand his post you would have learned that denying God's existence is futile.

Didymus Much 01-09-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Post your irrefutable proof here, NOW. :D

John C. Coleman 01-10-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

How about i know god does not exist

Genesis 1:1:"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

2 Timothy 3:16:" All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

God does exist.

:kjv1611-read:

see_the_light 01-10-2014 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1054541)

http://www.kingjamesbibletrust.org/t...f-1611/genesis

In case you don't have it in paper...

And neither us nor GOD give a rat's fart if you state that you believe in HIM or not (per se, the first point underneath includes a plethora of ways which should mold your speech).

The acid test (and the only thing between you and eternity in hell) is threefold:

1. That you accept, and follow, ALL his words and laws
2. That you accept JESUS and his temporary death as your sole hope of salvation
3. That you receive an undeserved Grace from JESUS and be born again in HIS BLOOD

As every TRUE CHRISTIAN i pray that it happens to you, thou I find it most unlikely.

PRAY TO JESUS!

Baxter Gladwell III 01-10-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

But that's not what Paul is saying in Romans 1. It's very unambiguous that the TRUTH of God is written on everyone's heart, whether they like it or not. There's no such thing as an atheist newborn, because every baby is born with knowledge of God. It is only through DENIAL of that TRUTH that most people turn away from that very thing that they were born with knowledge of. You can't just turn the tables when the argument is not going your way and shift the burden of proof. You can't just throw out LOGICAL PREMISES because you don't like their implications. Leave it to those who lack the HONESTY and INTELLECTUAL RIGOR to even own up to THAT WHICH THEY KNOW TO BE TRUE to be the most GRIEVOUS PERPETRATORS of MOVING GOALPOSTS on the planet.

I'll pray for you, but you seem so set in your SMART ALECK ways that I doubt it will do much good. Have fun in your FANTASY WORLD of MAKE BELIEVE, idiot.

Didymus Much 01-10-2014 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1054541)

Quote:

Originally Posted by see_the_light (Post 1054564)

I was after the godmocker to post his proof that God does not exist (which proof he must have, else he could not know that God does not exist, hence any such claim would only make him look foolish and/or hypocritical).

see_the_light 01-10-2014 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didymus Much (Post 1054617)
I was after the godmocker to post his proof that God does not exist (which proof he must have, else he could not know that God does not exist, hence any such claim would only make him look foolish and/or hypocritical).

then you should NOT have used the word irrefutable.

The only things that are irrefutable are from GOD.

PRAISE THE LORD!

Godfly 01-10-2014 04:21 AM

Quote:

You atheists are so angry. Because you think your God. You try to act like the real God does when people don't believe in him and banish us to the Hell of you're rage, but the joke is on you. God burns people in Hell because he loves them!

Pim Pendergast 01-10-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

As Christians, we know the minds of atheists better than atheists themselves do. As an atheist, you don't know what you think. You can't know God does not exist. Romans 1:20 tells us that everyone knows He exists. Perhaps you believe you know He doesn't exist. But your denial of His existence stems from a deep hatred. Verse 29 of Romans 1 tells us that those who don't acknowledge God's existence are in fact haters of God. Let me prove this to you.

If, for example, a so-called Christian sins and stubbornly refuses to repent, he must be shunned.

Mat 18:17b But if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. context

Likewise, in many cultures, if a son or daughter does something against their parents' wishes, they are cut off. In their parent’s minds, they no longer exist. They are dead to them. There is no greater contempt for a person than to so hate them that they don’t exist in your mind.

Let the hatred go, buddy, and let God in.

Jason the drunk mick 01-10-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pim Pendergast (Post 1054681)
As Christians, we know the minds of atheists better than atheists themselves do. As an atheist, you don't know what you think. You can't know God does not exist. Romans 1:20 tells us that everyone knows He exists. Perhaps you believe you know He doesn't exist. But your denial of His existence stems from a deep hatred. Verse 29 of Romans 1 tells us that those who don't acknowledge God's existence are in fact haters of God. Let me prove this to you.

If, for example, a so-called Christian sins and stubbornly refuses to repent, he must be shunned.

Mat 18:17b But if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. context

Likewise, in many cultures, if a son or daughter does something against their parents' wishes, they are cut off. In their parent’s minds, they no longer exist. They are dead to them. There is no greater contempt for a person than to so hate them that they don’t exist in your mind.

Let the hatred go, buddy, and let God in.

Firstly i have no hatred not even towards you i just think you are wrong
Secondly if you can say you know god exsits than i can say i know he doesnt and one of us will be proven right at the time of our death althought at that point it wont matter

Jack O'fagan 01-11-2014 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klinker (Post 1054915)
Firstly i have no hatred not even towards you i just think you are wrong
Secondly if you can say you know god exsits than i can say i know he doesnt and one of us will be proven right at the time of our death althought at that point it wont matter

If you are correct and there is no God then it won't matter.
However as there is a God it will matter greatly. An eternity screaming in agony is a very long time. Imagine a trillion years where every moment is so unimaginably terrifying that you'll be begging for death but that release won't come. A trillion years and you will hardly have started.

YIC

Jack

Basilissa 01-11-2014 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack O'fagan (Post 1054978)
If you are correct and there is no God then it won't matter.
However as there is a God it will matter greatly. An eternity screaming in agony is a very long time. Imagine a trillion years where every moment is so unimaginably terrifying that you'll be begging for death but that release won't come. A trillion years and you will hardly have started.

Praise the Lord! This is what I love the most about our Savior, His never ending Justice. :innocent:

Pim Pendergast 01-11-2014 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klinker (Post 1054915)
Secondly if you can say you know god exsits than i can say i know he doesn't and one of us will be proven right at the time of our death although at that point it wont matter

I don't need to know anything about atheism in order to refute it. I only need to know God. As a Christian, I know God.

Jn 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

For 20 years I have spoken to God every day through prayer, and He has spoken to me through His Word. But you can't know something that doesn't exist.