The Landover Baptist Church Forum

The Landover Baptist Church Forum (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumindex.php)
-   Favorite Bible Verses (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hebrews 9:27-28 - YOLO, so accept Christ before it's too late. (https://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=87907)

Jedediah 02-24-2013 02:12 AM

Hebrews 9:27-28 - YOLO, so accept Christ before it's too late.

Few people would consider me to be "cool" or "hep," but in the course of "rapping" with my sons about how we could more effectively relate the Word of God to youngsters during our Saturday street ministries in Des Moines, they told me about a popular saying going around with young hipsters all across the country.

You
Only
Live
Once

This immediately brought to mind the following verse about how importance it is to turn your life to Jesus immediately, since after your life is over, there is only Judgment in store.

Hebrews 9:27-28
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

In the war to save souls, we must use all the weapons we have at our disposal. So when a youngster asks why he or she should leave their sinful lives and become followers of Christ, explain to them, "Because YOLO."

Nobar King 02-24-2013 02:29 AM

Re: Hebrews 9:27-28 - YOLO, so accept Christ before it's too late.

You have to be careful that they don't think you're a beaner trying to say "yo lo tengo" which means I can go, or ten of us can go, or something.

Shimei 03-01-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedediah (Post 980680)
Few people would consider me to be "cool" or "hep," but in the course of "rapping" with my sons about how we could more effectively relate the Word of God to youngsters during our Saturday street ministries in Des Moines, they told me about a popular saying going around with young hipsters all across the country.

You
Only
Live
Once

This immediately brought to mind the following verse about how importance it is to turn your life to Jesus immediately, since after your life is over, there is only Judgment in store.

Hebrews 9:27-28
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

In the war to save souls, we must use all the weapons we have at our disposal. So when a youngster asks why he or she should leave their sinful lives and become followers of Christ, explain to them, "Because YOLO."

Hebrews 9:27 is one of the most formidable Scriptures to cite against reincarnation. As I had read this it came to me how Jesus offered to bear the sins of many, but in reincarnation this simple offering is rejected and one goes through time bearing their own sins time and time again. To live and die to live and die.... almost seemingly reminiscent of Hell's torment.

I guess we could tell our youngsters that if they don't accept Jesus they will pay a penalty of living future lives without memory of what they had done in the past. Without memory they are bound to repeat their mistakes and die and die again.

:sarcasm:

BelieverInGod 03-01-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimei (Post 982587)
Hebrews 9:27 is one of the most formidable Scriptures to cite against reincarnation. As I had read this it came to me how Jesus offered to bear the sins of many, but in reincarnation this simple offering is rejected and one goes through time bearing their own sins time and time again. To live and die to live and die.... almost seemingly reminiscent of Hell's torment.

I guess we could tell our youngsters that if they don't accept Jesus they will pay a penalty of living future lives without memory of what they had done in the past. Without memory they are bound to repeat their mistakes and die and die again.

:sarcasm:

Is this what those evangalists are teaching over in Asia? That accepting Jesus will get them out of the reincarnation loop?

And they have the nerve to come on our board and call us a cult? :angry:

Well I guess they'll tell the slants anything to get them to pony up cash into the collection plate.

Shimei 03-01-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BelieverInGod (Post 982597)
Is this what those evangalists are teaching over in Asia? That accepting Jesus will get them out of the reincarnation loop?

And they have the nerve to come on our board and call us a cult? :angry:

Well I guess they'll tell the slants anything to get them to pony up cash into the collection plate.

I'd think that those “remembering” past lives tend to be clustered in the East (where reincarnation is taught), not throughout the world.

Mary Etheldreda 03-01-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimei (Post 982601)
I'd think that those “remembering” past lives tend to be clustered in the East (where reincarnation is taught), not throughout the world.

I think people who think they remember a "past life" are lonely and looking for something to set them apart as special. It's a shame. If they aren't Saved©, washed clean by the Blood of Christ, they aren't special. Nothing they can do, or pretend, will change that.

Didymus Much 03-01-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Though I have not traveled extensively in the East, I'd kind of doubt that, because the major religions that believe in reincarnation (Hinduism and Buddhism) also teach that you cannot remember your past lives, or even be sure that this isn't your first incarnation (of course, with the fragmentation and lack of dogma in those schools of thought, you may find Hindus and Buddhists who do believe that you can). Westerners, on the other hand, are much more likely to do the "pick-n-choose" among the various beliefs, and end up "rolling their own" religion.

BelieverInGod 03-01-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Doesn't explain to me why these so called "christians" are over there mixing religions.

The Bible says nothing about reincarnation, therefore reincarnation doesn't exist. Karma is just something to blame for punishments from God.